Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tuesday, May 14th, 2013



I had another rough night sleeping.  I have to make it a habit not to have any caffeine (sodas) in the evening before going to bed.   And, when I renew my coffee supply at the end of the month I think I’d better buy Decaf instant coffee instead of regular.

After breakfast I took a taxi down Calle 44 towards downtown with the main intention of finding a USB headset with microphone.  There is a Home Center (like Home Depot) and a Carrefour (like WalMart) within walking distance of each other almost sharing the same parking lot.  First I stopped in Home Center and bought something inexpensive (7,300; $4.05) for a little added protection for the apartment.  

At Carrefour I asked at the pharmacy if they had Neosporin and again the answer was no.  They have a lot of headsets with microphones but none work with the USB port – all via input jacks.  I think I’m going to have to stop at Monterey Mall on Saturday since I’ll be in the neighborhood.  I sure hope I don’t have to go downtown (Centro) to look for one.  While I was there I priced their 3 quart saucepans and it is less expensive there – 33,900 ($18.83).  I did buy a Cannon hand towel (8900; $4.94) and a washcloth (3900; $2.17) and 2 boxes of 2 bars each of Dove Men + Care bath soap at (4390; $2.44) each box.  I didn’t have enough cash with me so I had to run out of the store for a minute to take 100mil out of the ATM in the food court.
I had a nice surprise when I got home.  I guess the mail boat got in because I had 2 greeting cards from my best friend Jack and his wife Arlene a letter from Vanguard and a letter from Sears.  The greeting cards were postmarked March 25th and March 26th. Maybe it took so long because he spelled the country as Columbia.  Lol.  One was a happy Easter card and the other a birthday card for my ex-girlfriend.  I’ll give that to here tomorrow when I see her for Angel’s 3rd shot.  They both had a Global Forever stamp on them and took exactly 7 weeks to get here.  I wonder how much that cost.  The Sears envelope contained my 1099-R that I recall calling them about and was dated and postmarked April 1st.   Luckily I had obtained it some other way – I think maybe I downloaded it from their website.  And they don’t have my address correct either: Diamond instead of Simon, but it got here just the same.  The Vanguard envelope was just my Zurich Retirement Plan Annual Funding Notice.  The interesting thing about the envelope it came in is that the address was printed correctly but without a country name which was hand written in by someone somewhere.

I had the Chicken Teriyaki special at Sarku for lunch for 9,900 ($5.50).  They were out of Pepsi so I had a Colombiana – supposedly it’s a combination of strawberry soda and champagne (non-alcoholic).  

I wish I had my utility & communication bills so I knew how much it was going to cost; then I would know how much money I have left for other things this month – like food.

I’m having a continuing battle with the ants in the laundry room.  Mainly I just mop them up, wring out the mop and wait until it dries until I mop them up again.

2:15-3:00 I got my hair cut.  Needless to say I was a little nervous about it especially because it was the same young man that “sheared” me just 6 weeks ago.  This time I wrote up the following instructions: “I want just a trim.  I want to grow my hair long again.  Just even out the hair on my head.  I would rather you leave it too long rather than cut it too short.  Please shorten my beard and moustache back about a month’s growth.”  I translated it to Spanish and copied it onto an index card that I handed him at the beginning of the haircut.  

I think he did a pretty good job except it’s spiked up in the young Colombian man’s style.  What do you think?



At least he didn't shear me again like last time!


His name is Oscar – it sure didn’t sound like Oscar when he told me which is why I had him write it down.  He charged me 9mil ($5) and the shop is Peluquereia Barberia Laureles and it’s located at Cra 81 (Av. 80) No. 37D-79 and they are open Monday thru Saturday from 9am to 6pm.  How would you like to work those hours for $5 a haircut – and there wasn’t exactly a line there waiting for haircuts.

I hadn’t been able to get my Nook working for weeks.  Here is what I found out and what I did.  First, I probably had been using my US email address to log into BN.com when I should have been using my CO email address.  2nd, I was unsuccessful using my Citibank card probably because I didn’t have any money in it and then because I entered my Colombian address.  3rd, I just downloaded an app to my iPad that allows me to read Nook books from either my Nook or my iPad.  In doing that it asked me again for my credit card number.  I gave my credit card information and then when it asked for my address I noticed it only allowed 2 options for country: US or UK.  So I put in US and my brothers address still afraid that it wouldn’t match up with my USAA debit card but it took it.  I then went to my Nook and tried again to download my next book “Four Voyages of Columbus” and this time it worked.  Yeah!  I then changed the password on my account.

For 12mil ($6.67) I had a delicious dinner at Sanjote Parrilla in Laureles Mall.  It consisted of chicken shish kebab, a small salad, a few sliced potatoes, a small arepa and a large glass of mango juice. My, doesn't that look delicious?

Chicken brocheta via Sanjote Parrilla


I sure hope to sleep well tonight.  I’m surprised I didn’t need a nap today; maybe because I was so busy all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment