Sunday, May 5, 2013

Sunday, May 5th, 2013

Happy Orthodox (Christian) Easter everyone!

I took my medicine on time last night.  I think I have a routine now that should allow me to take it on time much more often.  Since I am eating out I carry my medicine with me in my pill case.  When I get home and empty out my pockets it should be just about the required ½ hour after dinner to take my pill.

I slept well last night.  Made a couple of trips to the toilet but had no problem getting back to sleep.  Only problem was I scratched the side of my leg on the corner of the bed frame on one of my trips.  Maybe Jesus can provide something to cushion those corners.  After waking up about 5am I didn’t get back to sleep until about 6am and woke up a little later than usual just after 7am.  

After my shower, coffee and newspaper, I got to Exito about 8:45 and was surprised to find it closed.  Every other day they have been open at 8:30.  I asked at the information desk “Que tiempo Exito abierto hoy?” or “What time Exito open today?” and she said 9am.   

I was planning on buying a donut at Dunkin Donuts anyway so I went downstairs and ordered a cup of coffee and a donut covered with chocolate and peanuts.  Now, I only wanted a regular cup of coffee with cream and sugar so I asked for Café Normal with Crème and Azucar (sugar) but instead I again got a Café con Crema which was foamy and more like an Espresso or Café Leche.  I’m thinking I’m going to have to bring my own dry cream with me and then order a Café Normal and see if that works.  BTW, that was a total of 6,200 pesos ($4.35) – not too different from the states although it would be a little cheaper if I could get the regular coffee.

A little after 9am I went upstairs and bought my milk for the day for 1,630COP (Colombian Pesos) or 91 cents.  I think from now on I’ll just write the number without COP or pesos and you’ll understand I’m talking about pesos and if it’s preceded by a “$” you will know it’s USD (dollars).

According to weather.com it was 64 while I was having coffee on my balcony this morning going up to a high of only 76.  The prediction is for the high to go up 1 degree each day for the next 8 days ending with a high of 86 a week from Monday, all except the last 2 of those days with a 60% chance of rain with scattered thunderstorms.  I guess this is the rainy season; and it’s supposed to be a little worse in October!  I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I think I’ll try wearing my jeans this afternoon.

I planned on watching the Atletico Nacional soccer game today at 3:15 but now I see the time has changed to 7:45.  That’s the 3rd time in a row the time has changed from a 3:15 start to something much later.  I guess after a light dinner I’ll pop some popcorn in the microwave, head down to Laureles Mall, buy my soda there and try watching the game.  I wonder what time the mall closes?  Uh-Oh, I just Googled it and found it closes at 8pm on Sundays.  For the record, their hours are:
Monday-Thursday: 10am-8pm
Friday/Saturday: 10am-11pm
Sunday: 10am-8pm

Haven’t I had breakfast there earlier then 10am? Not sure.  

Maybe I could watch it in the Viva food court?  But their hours are almost the same as Laureles Mall:
Monday-Thursday: 10am-9pm
Friday/Saturday: 10am-11pm
Sunday: 10am-8pm

Well, I guess I’ll buy a bottle of Pepsi to go with my popcorn and watch it on my computer at home.  If it starts at 7:45 it should be over by 9:45 (2 45-minute halves and about a 20-minute halftime) and then I’ll just hope I can get to sleep from all the sugar.

This man is selling avocados (aguacates) from his push cart.  This happens several times a day.  I’m sure I’ll be sharing more examples in the future.





Lunch at Servicio a Domicilio (Laureles Mall)
Cazuelas con bandeja - Antioquenos 13,600 ($7.56)
Frijoles (beans)  - I liked these.
Chicharron – I never liked this (pork rind)
Rice – added it my beans
Small arepa – didn’t care for it
Avocado – very fresh and tasty
Patacones (like squashed potato pancakes ) - didn’t care for it
Mango Juice – Very tasty!
Maybe next time I can order this without “con bandeja” and just order rice and avocado on the side.

Lots of pretty senioritas around – but good looking hombres with them.

3pm a little breezy and noticeably cooler.

4pm it started to rain and got chilly.  Glad I have my jeans and not shorts; in fact I would  be very comfortable now in a long sleeved shirt.

6pm Dinner was the Ensalad de Frutas Especial at the ice cream store (Almibar).  I had had something similar before with Reina only this time I was smart enough to ask for no cheese: slices of bananas, apples, strawberries, cantaloupe, etc. and 2 scoops of ice cream  – 9,800 ($5.45).

6:30 stopped at Exito and bought a package of microwave popcorn 2,600 ($1.45) and a 1.5 liter bottle of Pepsi 3,150 ($1.75).  Now I’m all set for the big game.


No comments:

Post a Comment