Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Thursday, October 16th, 2014



I slept through the night, woke/got up at 6:10am, took my shower, and Teresa made me a breakfast of a cheese sandwich, arepa de chocolo and hot chocolate.  About 8am we walked past the neighbor’s house without incident.  After about a 15 minute wait we caught a bus to Caldas.  We stopped at an ATM machine across from the park where I took out 400mil.  Then we stopped at the same panaderia as last time (Industria de Alimentos Aymara) where Teresa had an arepa de chocolo, a pastel pollo frito and a cafĂ© con leche for 6,500.  Because I was still stuffed from breakfast I only had a glass of water.

We walked a few more blocks where we shopped in the same grocery store and we bought 136,450 worth of groceries.  We had everything put in a taxi and then stopped a few blocks away where Teresa went into a store and came out with a large (25kg) bag of dog food.  

The side street from the road to her finca is in 3 sections most of which are concrete paved but only where the tires should meet the road.  On the last section the driver mistakenly turned off the road at the first finca – the wrong one.  When he backed up he drove too far and the left wheels were off the road.  He tried to back up further to back onto the road, but probably made things worse because his tires fell into a tight rut between the road and the hill.  He got the jack out of his trunk, put it on the rear axle and raised the back end.  Then we all pushed the car off the jack to the side and back onto the road.  Then he put rocks under the front end and drove over them back onto the road.  It was pretty impressive; I’m sure in the states we would have called a tow truck.  He drove up the last section, helped unload the car, and with the help of a young man we carried everything down to the finca.  This time the Doberman seemed to be waiting for us in the middle of the path while the other dog was further ahead like they were trying to surround us.  Teresa used a branch to keep the other dog away and I had to continually threaten the Doberman with my spray to keep it away.

For lunch I had soup, 4 ribs with rice, salad and what Teresa called tomato tree juice.

The roofing guy finally finished at 4pm and it cost 182mil to fix the roof.

Teresa told me that Une called and they will be here tomorrow between 8am and noon.

I have 3 new mosquito bites: 1 on my left hand and 1 on each upper arm.

At 4:45 it started to rain and then hailed the size of the tip of my little finger.  That lasted about 5 minutes but still surprised me that we would get ice in this part of the world.  Whenever there is lightning we turn off the TV and unplug it.  I also unplug my laptop although it will continue working for about 2 ½ hours on its battery.   Unfortunately the roof leaked again only this time in a different place.

With my Claro Sim card I occasionally get text messages with some type of deals but now with the MoviStar Sim card I also get phone calls with offers.   I gave the phone to Teresa and told her she can carry my phone now to screen these calls.  A few minutes later Teresa tried calling someone from my phone but told me I’m out of minutes.  That was a bit of a surprise but I guess Teresa probably spent a lot of time “on hold” with Direct TV and then Une.  (Later I found out that I still have a lot of minutes left; it's just that Teresa doesn't want to use them up on hold with Une.)

We went to bed at 10pm.

T-shirt of the day: Vintage gas station

No comments:

Post a Comment