Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Tuesday, September 30th, 2014



Teresa told me she’s going into town (Caldas) to go to the bank and buy some food and I said I would stay here.

I got up about 7:30, had a bowl of granola, took my shower and was ready when Teresa was ready to leave so I went with her.

We were lucky to get past the dogs before they detected we were there.  They finally came out but we were already too far away.

We waited by the street for 15 minutes before we caught a bus to Caldas.  I understand they must have 2 seats available or they won’t stop.

In Caldas we walked a few blocks and she stopped at an office where she received a piece of paper.  She took it to BanColombia where she received a little more than 100mil in cash.  I walked next door to their ATM and I took out 400mil.  Then we stopped at a panaderia where I had a coffee con leche oscuro and a croissant and she had hot chocolate and 2 pastel pollos.  They tasted like empanadas to me but those I’ve had on Calle 10 and what I usually get at Los Mejores tastes better to me.

We walked a few more blocks to the Merkepaisa Caldas grocery store that she said was very inexpensive.  We bought what I understand should be enough food for 2 weeks.  I was pleasantly surprised I was able to put the 236,800 (appr. $119) on my debit card.  Then the bagger pushed our cart out for us to the corner where we found a taxi after about a 5 minute wait.  The bagger helped us load everything into the front seat of the taxi and I gave her a 2mil tip.  As we pulled away from the grocery Teresa realized she forgot to buy dog food.   She directed the driver about 3 blocks away and I gave her 10mil for the dog food.  I was VERY surprised when the driver got out of the taxi, took the 10 mil and walked across the street to buy the dog food.  And he left the keys in the car with the engine running.  I told Teresa that THAT would never happen in the US.  We had a good laugh about the difference between the culture here and the US.

The driver came out and we were on our way.  I was happy to see the driver take the hill in his taxi all the way to the fence.  I gave him the 10mil fare and a 2mil tip.  He even helped us unload the bags and carry them partway down the hill past the dogs.  Just when we were next to the farm where the dogs live the driver asked Teresa something which must have alerted the dogs that we were there.

The dogs came out and I shot off a stream of pepper spray at the closest one, the doberman pincher, and he backed off.  One of these days I’m going to hit one in the face and then we’ll see what happens.  Teresa really likes the stuff and asked me to have my brother bring more when he comes for a visit in February.  Before I can do that I have to find the address of the Chicago Police Department supply place; I remember it’s on the north side of an east west street, I think on Devon near McCormick Ave so that’s probably Skokie.  Later I’ll google it and see if I can find an address.

The driver helped carry everything past the area where the dogs were and I asked Teresa if I should go back with him to protect him from the dogs but I understood the driver wasn’t concerned.  We watched as he walked up to the farm and the dogs threatened him and he just kind of waved them off and just as he walked out of sight it looked like the doberman was jumping towards him.  Yikes!  At least I didn’t hear him yell.

We were able to carry everything down taking things a little at a time.

I put up some plastic hooks in the bathroom.

Direct TV finally called to say they would be here Friday between 8am and 10am.

At noon I wasn’t hungry so Teresa and I each had one of the Fuji apples.

At one point we carried my large bed frame into the bedroom and I screwed the legs back on.   

At 1:30 we had a nice lunch of soup, salad, chicken and rice with a juice using a local fruit similar to strawberries.

When I walk outside I’ll have a few dog biscuits in my pocket and I’ll say “sit” and since Luna is already sitting she’s the only one who gets one.  The others probably wonder why I’m playing favorites.

We took a nap between 3 and 4:15 and at 4:30 she had the sudden urge to switch beds.  I wanted to wait until the beginning of a free day in case we ran into any problems.  We started removing the nuts from the bolts holding the frame together and found 5 that wouldn’t budge.  The wrench simply moves over the nuts; the wrench won’t stay on the bolts.   I sprayed CRC on them and waited 30 minutes for it to seep in.  I was then able to remove 4 of the 5 but the remaining one I had trouble getting the wrench on because of the support for the slats being in the way.  I sprayed more CRC on it and waited another 30 minutes.  It still wouldn’t budge.  I decided we will need to buy a socket wrench at Home Center tomorrow.  Teresa found several other wrenches and finally found one similar to what I have.  I didn’t give it much hope but she insisted so I tried and darned if it didn’t work.  I guess the head was just small enough that it could travel a little furthr allowing me to loosen the nut.  We removed the last bolt and I found the head, foot, and side boards were really heavy and well made.  We removed them and moved my largest bed into the bedroom.

Teresa decided to give her bed to Laura; good thing because I don’t believe we would ever be able to move the pieces up to the loft without a At one point I tried to help Teresa by removing the mattresses and I guess I uncovered her home bank account.  I thought it was a pretty good idea to hide money from Laura by putting it under her own mattress.
Laura came home about 6:30 while we were finishing putting the bed together.  We’ll save the other bed for another day.

At 7pm we watched Safe starring Jason Statham.  Of course Laura wanted to watch that movie!  It was a pretty good action movie, of course with lots of shooting and hand to hand fighting.

We had bought a package of salted peanuts and we started eating them.  At 9pm we watched a movie, but I don’t remember the title.  Maybe Shuttle.  It was very good, very suspenseful with plot twists right up to the end.  But I didn’t recognize any of the actors or actresses so I don’t know how I could track down the title on IMDB.

We went to bed at 11pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment