Saturday, March 5, 2016

Friday, March 4th, 2016



Today was another good example of my not knowing what’s going on.

For breakfast I had a bowl of cereal.  I asked Teresa directly if we were going to be eating any food in Caldas and she said no.  (I remember last time we went to Caldas I had a large bowl of cereal and then we went to Aymara where Teresa had breakfast and I only had a cup of coffee.)  I asked her if I needed to bring some money but she told me the cement and things are inexpensive so I didn’t bring any 50mil peso bills.

We left the finca at 8:15, I gave the black dog 2 dog biscuits and we were on a bus after a 10 minute wait.  The posted bus fee was 1,300 pesos but the driver didn’t give me any change for the 3,000 pesos I gave him so I guess the price recently went up to 1,500 pesos.

Teresa called Rodrigo, he’s the one with the truck, and we met him a couple minutes later.  We stopped at the tile store and Teresa talked to someone there.  She called her cousin Cecilia and then informed me we’ve been invited to breakfast at her apartment.  I reminded her that I asked her if we were going to be eating anything in Caldas and she said no.  Now I’m full and we’re going to be having another breakfast.  Cecilia has a nice little apartment with one bedroom and one bathroom on the 2nd floor.  I saw for the first time in Colombia that she had a ground fault interuptor on her outlet above the kitchen sink.  She made me an arepa with butter and scrambled eggs with tomato and what I thought was green pepper.  She told me it was some kind of onion and Teresa said she would make it for me for breakfast.

We left and went back to the tile store where I paid 162,000 pesos for about 20 roof tiles, cement and sand.  I tried using my debit card but it wasn’t accepted so I had to use 8 of my 20mil bills.  I think my next card will probably have a chip in it so maybe it will be accepted more often for debit purchases.  

Rodrigo backed his truck into the storage area and everything was loaded in the back.  

We stopped at the nursery where Teresa took advantage of the fact that we have a truck by picking up 3 more large ceramic pots.  That cost me another 120mil (6 more of my 20mil bills).  I think I’ve used up most of what I got yesterday.

Rodrigo drove 2 blocks and his truck stalled.  He pulled out some wires from the dashboard but that didn’t work.  He opened the hood and poked around but that didn’t work.  A couple men stopped by, they seemed like just passersby because they were both in short-sleeved dress shirts.  They talked a while, they opened the hood and after about a 15 minute delay we were on our way again.

We were back in the finca by noon.

Among today’s new US movie releases I would like to see London Has Fallen (6.4).  Locally, I would like to see 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (7.6).

At 1:15 it started raining but it stopped 15 minutes later.  It started again about 3:30 and lasted about 30 minutes.

We started watching a few movies on Netflix but gave up because we didn’t like any of them.  We started The Woman in Black (6.4).

The peso closed down at 3,157 to the dollar.

T-shirt of the day: Wild at heart.

2 comments: