Sunday, January 28, 2018

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Last night I slept well despite getting up twice, finally waking/getting up at 8am.

I picked up a free adn newspaper, dropped off some old papers for recycling outside Exito, then stopped at the bakery for a blueberry muffin and was told they are an afternoon item.

I had my usual breakfast at Carbon de Leña.  In the newspaper articles included:
·       They (government?) are 20 million dollars short of completing a tunnel to the east.
·       Today you can receive a free vacination.
·       Rex Tillerson (sounds like it’s a country singer or cowboy but he’s Secretary of State) will visit Colombia in February.
·       The local (Medellin) soccer team Atletico Nacional is changing their jersey style.
·       Something about a new series starring the guy who plays Daryl Dixon in The Walking Dead.

I walked across the street to the internet café where I had a chess game printed out from my September Chess Life magazine.  It was a game that America’s youngest grandmaster, Samuel Sevian, played at the Continental Championship in Medellin.

I noticed that men were taking down the lines that were connected to the poles they used for the Christmas decorations.  Also, I saw a tent where it appears they are giving free vaccinations.

I walked over to Confama where I dropped off 3 AA batteries at their recycling station.

Back at the apt I read that the Senior Bowl is being played today starting at 2:30 Eastern time so I decided to go to Pricesmart before lunch rather than after.

I quickly caught a taxi that took me directly to the door (Pricesmart) for 13mil.  Their hours are, basically, daily from 9am – 8pm.  Inside I was stopped by a security girl and she found me Andres, a guy who spoke good English.  I filled out an information form for myself and for Teresa.  I then waited in line for about 5 minutes, paid 75,000 pesos for my 1st year’s membership, they took my photo and I got my card.  I understood Teresa will get her card when she comes for the first time and they take her photo.

I spent about 30 minutes walking around and here are some of the interesting things I found:
·       Crest toothpaste
·       Charmin toilet paper
·       Mrs. Butterworth’s syrup (is it better than Aunt Jemima?)
·       Pecan halves
·       Bisquick for waffles and pancakes
·       Vlasic hamburger dill chips
·       Kraft macaroni & cheese (individual microwavable? cups)
·       Wrigley’s doublemint gum
·       Carrot cake (whole, looked delicious, 14mil ($5))
·       Knotts Berry Farm strawberry preserves
·       Planters crunchy peanut butter
·       Packages of Butterfingers, Baby Ruth, Milkyi Way, Mars bars
·       Kellogg’s Raisin Bran (I wish it was Post)
·       Ritz Crackers

At the checkout there were long lines with full carts.  I tracked down Andres and asked him:
Q: Why don’t you have an express line? A: There is a cashier by the electronics section where you can make small volume purchases.  (I didn’t recall seeing that.)
Q: Do you take credit and debit cards? A: We take all cards.
Q: When would be the best time to come when there are the fewest people? A: M-F from 9am to 10:30am.

As I was leaving almost everyone was taking their purchases (with their carts) directly to their cars so I had no wait to catch a taxi.

On the way back, as often happens, there were guys handing out small fliers in the street.  The driver took one and immediately started to put it in his wastebasket.  I asked for it and checking it out it appears to be offering a 30% discount for a new love hotel near UPB/Unicentro in Laureles.  Interesting.

Back at the apt I presented the flyer to Laura and we had a good laugh.

At 12:30 she asked me why I’m not getting ready to go out for lunch.  I replied, “because yesterday you told me you wanted to have lunch at 1:30”.  She said she changed her mind to 1pm.  I said, it will take me 5 minutes to get ready since I don’t have to brush my hair, put on makeup, or decide what clothes to wear.  Lol.

We walked over to Classic Diner which just happens to look like diners, although this one is fancier, in the US.  We each ordered a milkshake and a burger and then I took her over to the pool table for a quick lesson.  Interestingly, everything was there except for the 8 ball.  I showed her how to hold the cue and shoot and I can’t say she’s a natural.  Lol.

After finishing a game we went back to our table and our burgers soon arrived.  They are so thick you have to squeeze the buns together to get it in your mouth.

I couldn’t believe she finished her whole burger and all her fries as I only got close myself.  Everything cost me a little less than 80,000 pesos ($27).  The waiter asked me how to say “la cuenta” in English and I told him “the check” or “the bill” and wrote it down for him.  As we left he said “see you later” in English.

As we walked back to the apt Laura split off and headed to the gym.

Back at the apt I watched some of the Senior Bowl on my slingbox.
I took a nap from 4pm to 5pm. 

On TV they had 2 episodes of The Walking Dead but they were ones I had recently seen.

Laura returned to the apt at 6:30 and a couple minutes later Teresa called.  She sent me a photo of herself sitting next to a statue.
Laura was ready by 8pm, we left the apt, walked down the hill and quickly caught a taxi to Parque Lleras.  When we arrived at Mu (FukinGoodRibs.com) there was a line of about a dozen people.  We waited about 15 minutes for our turn to enter and they gave us a small table in the back.  I understood from the water that there was a 40 minute wait for food.  I said we’d better order then and Laura ordered an orange juice and I a regular Coke with a glass of ice and a small order of ribs to share.  The water brought us a bowl of nacho chips, and a plate with the 4 sauces.  Surprisingly, the ribs arrived not 5 minutes later.  I ate 3 and Laura, who said she wasn’t hungry from lunch, ate 2.  She finished most of the nacho chips and I finished most of the fries.  The total check, including tax and tip, came to 78,000 pesos (about $26).

Before giving up our table I used my Tappsi app to call for a taxi.  They give you the license plate number, the driver’s name and a code you give the driver so he knows you are the one who called for his car.  The driver, William, arrived 5 minutes later and took us directly to the apt.

Laura sequestered herself back in her room and I cleaned my computer table.

I went to bed at 11:30.


T-shirt of the day: Today is my big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment