Friday, January 19, 2018

Thursday, January 18, 2018

I slept as well as usual until 4am and then it seemed to take a long time to fall back asleep.  I finally woke/got up at 7:30.

Teresa left the apt for the finca at 8am.  I left 10 minutes later.

I picked up a free adn newspaper outside Exito.
Articles included:
Is there going to be a racetrack in northern Medellin (Bello)?
Days of sun and rainy afternoons in Medellin.
Nokia announced an alliance with Claro to test their new 5G network in Colombia.
The Envigado Cubs repeat as children’s baseball champions.
The book Fire and Fury will be made into a TV series.
The Shape of Water opens today in local theaters.
I guess you have to get there early if you want a newspaper.

I stopped at Servibanca and made a withdrawal.  I had a breakfast of calentado (rice & beans), scrambled eggs and café con leche at Carbon de Leña for 8,500 ($3).

I bought 2 packages of Isoklon sleeping pills at Todo Drogas, had a copy made of an au pair fact page at the paper store, bought a travel set of case, toothbrush and toothpaste at Dollar City for 7mil for Teresa, bought 2 bags of milk at the corner store and was back at the apt by 9:45.

I watched the first 90 minutes of the Today show.

I left the apt at 11:45, paid the Une (wifi) bill at Cotrafa and then picked up some groceries at Exito.

Shoot!  I wanted to see Downsizing at Mayorca at 4:20 today but they moved the showtime to the evening.

Laura and I left the apt at 1pm and had a nice lunch of beans, meatballs and rice at La Bahia for 11mil each (about $4).

She headed back to the apartment and I quickly caught a taxi to Vizcaya mall.  I was happy he took the back roads instead of going down Avenida Poblado.  The only problem was that when we got to Calle 10 we were already slightly past the last block that takes us directly to the mall and we were stopped by heavy traffic.  I gave him the 12,000 peso fare and got out and walked the last block.

I bought a general admission ticket to Darkest Hour (7.4) for 6,000 pesos ($2).  I bought a small popcorn and medium soda for another 14,600 ($5).  (I think their popcorn is the worst of all the theaters.)
The movie was good and there were only 6 other people in the theater.

Afterwards, I walked down to Avenida Poblado and immediately caught a bus.  Traffic was very heavy and it took 30 minutes to go through the Gold Mile area so I guess we were only making 2 miles per hour.  I was just happy I got a seat.

I was back at the apt by 5:30.

I finished reading Elizabeth Kolbert’s The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History and downloaded Michael Connelly’s The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller #5).

Teresa called at 7pm to inform me that she was waiting for a bus on the highway by the finca.  She got back at 8:30.


T-shirt of the day: Never trust an atom.  They make up everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment