Thursday, January 11, 2018

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

I slept well last night despite getting up a couple times during the night.

Teresa left for the finca at 9:45.  I understand she’s going to check the work of the gardener and then pay him 260,000 pesos.

I watched the first 20 minutes of the Today show and then left for the gym.  I did all my exercises in an hour and a half.  On my way back to the apt I ran into Charles.  It sounded like he and Ron had a falling out and they aren’t staying in the same apt anymore.  Ron asked me if I like to fish as he has some spot he wants to try.  I told him I would let him know if I was interested.

After I returned I suggested Laura and I go for lunch.  She said yes but she wasn’t interested in Carbon de Leña, she would rather go down the hill to Deli Hoy.  Then she happened to ask when would be the next time I would be going to Parque Lleras and I said today.  I told her I have some errands to run and some gringos claim the best pizza in Medellin is at the La Graspo de Uva Italian restaurant by Parque Poblado.

We left the apt at 1:30 and took a bus to Parque Poblado and walked down the hill a block and a half to the restaurant.  We ordered a half Peperonata alla Parmiggiana and half Alla Salsiccia Italiana for 28,500.  (I took a photo of the menu, why didn’t I take a photo of the pizza?)  It had a nice thin crust, actually probably a little too thin making it difficult to pick up.  Both sides were tasty and we had no problem finishing the 8 slices.  (In Colombia if you ask how big a pizza is they answer not in inches but in how many slices it has.  I guess they don’t know a pizza can be cut as many times as they want.)  They have a nice brick oven which is probably why their pizzas come out so good.  I ordered a Coke and Laura a mango juice and with the tip it came to 43,700 (about $15).

Laura went back to the apt and I stopped at Envios Market where I picked up my mail – my January Chess Life magazine and a year-to-date statement for my Zurich pension.

I walked over to Calle 10 where I caught a bus (2,600 pesos, wow, the price went up) and got off 10 blocks later at Carrera 30.  I walked south about 4 blocks to Las Rosas Hotel Boutique.  My brother might stay there for a few days on his February visit and he had a few questions for me.  I found out the large room is suitable for 5 people and the smaller room goes for 180,000 a night which includes breakfast and use of their pool and whirlpool.

When I left I walked down Calle 8 looking for the restaurant Mu but didn’t see it.  I think I was off by a block, probably making it closer to the hotel than I thought.

I turned and happened to walk past the Flip Flop Sandwich Shop.  I was surprised they were still open; they must have very irregular hours.

When I got to Calle 10 I had to go to the restroom.  I walked back up the hill to Vizcaya mall.

I walked back to Avenida Poblado where I caught a bus back to the apt.

Teresa came back just before 8pm.  She told me that Esmeralda called San Andres and Teresa needs to go there to show Laura’s school records and Cedula and sign papers.  Esmeralda is going to go with her and will buy tickets tonight (the belief is they are less expensive after 11pm) and I will pay her back.  I told Teresa I could go with her but then 1) Laura would be alone in the apt 2) Esmeralda would have to get her own room (more money for her) 3) they are getting the simplest inexpensive room for 50mil and I probably wouldn’t be comfortable with that.  So, we decided that Teresa would go with Esmeralda and I would stay here and keep an eye on Laura.


T-shirt of the day: Tall.  Dark.  Handsome.  Smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment