Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Tuesday, September 1st, 2015



I fell asleep quickly but woke up at 4am with some minor diarrhea.  After that I couldn’t get back to sleep so I got up at 6am and did some paperwork, went back to bed at 7am and woke/got up at 8:45.

We left the finca at 11:05 and got past the killer dogs undetected.  There is so much work going on on the hill for the new highway that we had to walk through a dust storm to get to the highway.  It was a cool morning with partial clouds and a light, cool breeze.  We waited 15 minutes for a bus to Envigado.

Today I could see an SUV sitting on the new bridge so with that perspective I can now tell that they are building 4 lanes.

We took a taxi to Parque Envigado and while Teresa ordered lunch for herself at Carbón de Leña I visited my usual internet café where I tried to print the first page of a multipage PDF file.  I tried it myself and multiple pages came out with a line of gibberish on each.  The owner tried it herself and got the same result.  She sent me 3 stores away to another one and I was able to print out the page successfully.

Back at the restaurant Teresa was finishing and I placed my order for the menu of the day for 10,500.  What they brought me wasn’t what I had envisioned but it was acceptable anyway.  I paid 26mil for the two of us.
We walked over to the Bancolombia across from Exito where I took out some cash.  Strangely, there was almost no line in the bank.  After a short 5 minute wait I paid my health insurance payment for September.

We stopped at a Gana shop where I added 50mil to my cell phone.  We walked over to Todo Drogas pharmacy where I bought 4 boxes of Isoklon sleeping pills for 60,900 each (price increased by 1mil each) and a box of Tamsulosin for 34,900 (price increased by 7mil).  Teresa is starting to use the sleeping pills on occasion and I don’t want to run out before the end of the month.

We took a bus to MBE where I paid 100mil total for August & September’s rent.  They gave me July & August’s Chess Life magazine and receipts for my pension deposits.

We walked to the corner where I had 45 pages scanned and added to my flash drive for 22mil.  

We walked about 8 blocks to the Hostal where I picked up the t-shirt Michael had left behind.  While there I gave their dog a dog biscuit and Teresa pointed out a sign advertizing Rio Claro Reserva Natural.  It looks like it’s 3 hours ESE of Medellin and might be a good place to keep in mind for a visit.  http://www.paisatours.com/rio_claro.htm  (I googled it and saw waterfalls, lakes, hiking, caving, rafting and zip lines.  It looks like a beautiful area.)

We walked about 6 blocks to the Calle 10 Exito where I found a bottle of Heinz ketchup and Smucker’s Strawberry Preserves.  Teresa picked up some packaged ham, 2 packages of arepas, 2 boxes of cereal, a loaf of bread and 2 bottles of Coke.

Outside the store Teresa said she wanted to wait an hour for the weather to cool before continuing on our way.  We sat down for about 20 minutes and she changed her mind and we took a taxi down to the highway.  After a couple minutes we were on a bus back to the finca.

Walking up the hill Malu joined us and I gave her the last dog biscuit I had with me.  The killer dogs hasseled us as we walked past.   We got back to the finca at 5pm.

I spent most of the evening backing up my laptop along with other monthly chores.

I took my sleeping pills at 11pm and went to bed.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe is the highway that goes to the Pacific? In Santa Fe de Antioquia will converge the big highways: on that goes to Uraba from Medellin and the one that goes to Manizales, Cali, etc. Where is your zone? If Teresa´s farm is near it, her property will increse in value. Also, trasnport will be faster to Medellin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I know is this new highway will go north to Medellin; not sure how far south it goes. Teresa is counting on the new highway increasing the value of her finca as it should cut the travel time to Medellin from 40 minutes to 20 minutes. She wants to put it up for sale right after completion and hopefully move to Envigado.

    ReplyDelete