Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Monday, August 19, 2019


Last night I went to bed at 11:15, fell asleep quickly, woke up at 4:30, took a while to fall back asleep, finally woke/got up at 8:15.

Teresa says today is a holiday but she doesn’t know which one.  I tend to agree with her because of the lack of traffic outside.  I think the holiday is Assumption of Mary.

I watched the first 20 minutes of the Today show then left for the gym.  Because today is a holiday Ciclovia was in full progress.  The gym started out as usual but by 10am it was quite busy.  I completed all my exercises in a little under 2 hours. 

After lunch I tried to take a nap but gave up after about 30 minutes.
About 3pm I walked to the mall where I had a café con leche at Todo Fresa.  I read some from my most recent Chess Life magazine.  I learned that the National High School championship last March was held in Schaumburg, IL where I used to work.
There was an article titled More Chess Parenting: Nurturing the Talented Child where talent development is dependent on five important conditions: 1) An enriched early environment to set one on the talent path, 2) strong mentors to model and teach talent skills, 3) a long-term and deliberate practice routine, 4) a center-of-excellence training ground, and 5) a singleness-of-purpose motivation to master.

I left at 4:30 and walked to Cine Colombia where I read some more while drinking a café con leche from Juan Valdez.  On their big screen in the concessions area I saw a trailer for Yesterday (7.0).  I checked my Cine Colombia app and it opens here on September 12th.  I saw another trailer for The Command (6.5) starring Colin Firth.  After I left I noted something in the Columbia Outdoor store that I’ve been thinking about for quite some time.  It’s a pair of thin pants with a knee zipper where you can turn them into shorts.  Unfortunately, they are priced at 248,000 pesos ($72).  (Back at the apt I checked Amazon and they are priced at $13.96 to $195.88 or in my size $43.75.)

Back at the apt Teresa soon left to go to a Navena for the aunt that had just passed away.  Unfortunately, they have to go all the way up north to Bello.

8,289 steps today.

Joke of the day
A small tourist hotel was all abuzz about an afternoon wedding where the groom was 95 years old and the bride was 23. The groom looked pretty feeble and the feeling was that the wedding night might kill him, because his bride was a healthy, vivacious young woman. 
But lo and behold, the next morning, the bride came down the main staircase slowly, step by step, hanging onto the banister for dear life. 
She finally managed to get to the counter of the little shop in the hotel. The clerk looked really concerned, "Whatever happened to you, honey? You look like you've been wrestling an alligator!" 
The bride groaned, hung on to the counter and managed to speak, "Ohhh God! He told me he'd been saving up for 75 years, and I thought he meant his money!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment