Thursday, August 8, 2019

Wednesday, August 7, 2019


Last night I went to bed at 11pm, fell asleep quickly, got up once about 5am, couldn’t fall back asleep so I got up at 6:15.  I think I’m probably going to need a nap later.

Today is another holiday – and it isn’t even Monday – today is Battle of Boyaca Day.  This holiday marks the winning of an important battle in Colombia’s independence from Spain.

I watched the first 20 minutes of the Today show and left for the gym.  The south bound lanes of Avenida Poblado were closed for Ciclovia.  The gym was packed today and I had to wait my turn to use 2-3 machines.  I completed all my exercises in a little over 90 minutes.

I took a 15 minute nap just before lunch.

I left the apt at 2pm and walked to Parva for a café con leche and I found it closed.  Same with the other bakery.  Of course, because today is a holiday!  When am I ever going to learn?

I stopped at Exito and bought a Snickers bar for my dinner tonight and a pack of gum.

My posting might be a little short and sporadic for the next few days because of the chess tournament.  Here is the schedule:
Tonight, August 7th 6:30 Round 1
Thursday, August 8th 10am Round 2
Thursday, August 8th 6:30pm Round 3 (although I’m going to ask for a bye so I can watch the Bears 1st preseason game)
Friday, August 9th 10am Round 4
Friday, August 9th 6:30pm Round 5
Saturday, August 10th 10am Round 6
Saturday, August 10th 4pm Round 7
Sunday, August 11th 9am Round 8
Sunday, August 11th 1pm Round 9

I left the apt at 5:10pm and had to wait 10-15 minutes for a metro bus.  (Since it was a holiday I wasn’t confident it would come at all.  In a pinch I would just walk down the block to Avenida Las Vegas and take a taxi.)  I got off the metro at the Stadium Station and saw men hawking tickets.  Uh-oh, there must be a soccer game tonight.  Lots of vendors were open for business selling snacks, team jerseys and hats.

Because the police had the stadium blocked off I had to walk the long way around instead of cutting through the property.

I was at the league office right at 6pm for a supposed 6:30 start that I was pretty sure in reality would be 7pm.

At 6:30 I ate my snicker bar and a few minutes later I bought a small bottle of water for 1mil.  They posted the pairings about 10 minutes before 7pm.  My opponent was a young unrated man named John Alexander Vega N.  I had the White pieces and I played my new English System.  One of the videos I watched showed me how to trade a bishop for a knight creating a weak pawn that I could attack.  That worked out great and in the process I checked him and he chose to move his king.  I chased his king to the other side of the board and I checkmated him on the 23rd move.  That was a relatively easy game and I'm now 1-0.  It was only 8:15 and I was thinking that as soon as the soccer match ended the metro would be flooded with fans and I also would have trouble catching a taxi.  I went out to the street and quickly caught a taxi back to the apt for 17,300 pesos.

9,277 steps today.

Joke of the day
One night a blonde nun was praying in her room when God appeared before her.
"My daughter, you have pleased me greatly. Your heart is full of love for your fellow creatures and your actions and prayers are always for the benefit of others. I have come to you, not only to thank and commend you, but to grant you anything you wish," said God.
"Dear Heavenly Father, I am perfectly happy and am doing what I love. I lack for nothing. I feel content in all ways," said the nun.
"There must be something you would have of me," said God.
"Well, there is one thing," she said. "Just name it," said God. "It's those blonde jokes. They are so demeaning to blondes everywhere, not just to me. I would like for blonde jokes to stop."
"Consider it done," said God. "Blonde jokes shall be stricken from the minds of humans everywhere. But surely there is something that I could do just for you."
"There is one thing. But it's really small, and not worth your time," said the nun.
"Name it. Please," said God.
"It's the M&M's," said the nun. "They're so hard to peel."

No comments:

Post a Comment