Sunday, August 18, 2019

Saturday, August 17, 2019


Last night I went to bed at 11pm, got up once at 4:30 (Teresa was in bed), and finally woke/got up at 7:30.  Teresa told me she returned to the apt at 2am but I didn’t hear anything.

I left the apt just before 9am and walked to downtown Envigado where I had breakfast at Carbon de Leña.  I walked through the park and got on an Envigado bus that had just arrived.  I know they sit there for a period of time and today I figured out when they decide to leave.  When the next Envigado bus arrives (rounds the corner) this bus leaves.

As I got on, all of the aisle seats were taken so I went to the back of the bus and sat alone in the middle seat of the back row. A little while later a threesome got on and made their way to the back of the bus. I moved over one allowing them to sit together in the back. I had my right foot on a horizontal bar when the bus stopped and the door opened pinning my foot between the door and a vertical bar. I actually had to turn my foot vertically to allow it to fit without getting smashed. It was pinned between the door and the bar until everyone entered the bus and the driver closed the door. Obviously, I removed my foot from that horizontal bar.

I got off at Parque Poblado and walked upstairs to Envios Market.  I was surprised to find Nobraskja there; I thought maybe she had been fired as I hadn’t seen her in weeks.  She told me her mother and father arrived from Venezuela so she took some time off to show them Medellin (which they love).  She gave me my August Chess Life magazine, my September Reader’s Digest and a package which I soon figured out to be the 2 jars of Mineral Ice I had ordered for Teresa.

I walked up Avenida Poblado to the Banco Caja Social building expecting to find an ATM machine inside but there’s nothing but construction.

Outside I caught an Envigado bus and I got off at the Esso gas station and walked down to Parva where I had a small café con leche.  Teresa called and asked me to stop at Exito and buy milk, a head of lettuce and a bottle of Clorox on my way back to the apt.
I was back at the apt just before noon.

Teresa showed me a problem in the guest bathroom.  After you flush the toilet and the tank refills there is a ringing sound like an old-sytle alarm clock.  I got my flashlight and removed the top of the tank and the guts looked similar to what we have in the States except there was a plastic thingy about the shape of a padlock with horizontal grooves or louvers on each side.  Of course, Teresa said not to touch it.  I asked her what it was and I understood she said it was something to make it smell better that the previous owner installed.  I’m pretty sure it’s been there for years, forgotten, and it doesn’t smell anymore so I reached in and pulled it out and handed it to Teresa to dispose of.  I flushed the toilet again and the ringing sound quickly changed my attention from inside the tank to under it.  I saw a round “thingy” encircling the pipe that usually attaches to the wall but it was just hanging there.  On the next flush I discovered that after the toilet fills, the inlet pipe appears to shake probably due to water and air coming through and the vibration causes the round thingy to shake making a ringing sound.  Instead of trying to remove the round “thingy” I think I’ll buy a container of PlayDoh for $1-$2 and put it around the pipe and stick the “round thingy” to it and it should harden and stop “ringing”.  That’s my theory anyway.

I finished reading The Week magazine that Jim & Kathy (Kathi?  Cathy?  Cathi?) Squires from Texas gave me.  Now I’m trying to solve the crossword puzzle in the back and slowly making progress.

Since Teresa only slept from about 2am to 7am she took a nap after lunch.  I tried to also but I couldn’t fall asleep.

Today was another beautiful day where we didn’t even hit 80 degrees.

Teresa took a nap from about 1pm to 4pm, probably because of her missed sleep last night.

Just after 4pm I had just asked Teresa if she wanted to go out somewhere for dinner tonight and then it started raining.

I love my new cellphone.  I have more space to download and store apps.  It is better at determining when I have a wifi connection available and if not it switches to my 4G plan.  The battery seems like it will last for 1-2 days without a recharge and recharges in just a few hours.

Today I renewed my driver’s license online and it should arrive here in the next month or so.

I watched Season 8, episode 12 of The Walking Dead on Netflix.

We ordered chicken wings delivered for supper.  We each get a box of 6 chicken wings with choice of sauce, about 20 French fries and a 250mil bottle of Coke, delivered with tip for 33,900 pesos (less than $11).

6,270 steps today.

Joke of the day
Miss Beatrice, the church organist, was in her eighties and had never been married. She was admired for her sweetness and kindness to all. 
One afternoon the pastor came to call on her and she showed him into her quaint sitting room. She invited him to have a seat while she prepared tea. As he sat facing her old pump organ, the young minister noticed a cut-glass bowl sitting on top of it.
The bowl was filled with water. In the water floated, of all things, a condom! When she returned with tea and scones, they began to chat. The pastor tried to stifle his curiosity about the bowl of water and its strange floater, but soon it got the better of him and he could no longer resist. 
"Miss Beatrice", he said. "I wonder if you would tell me about this?" pointing to the bowl. 
"Oh, yes" she replied, "isn't it wonderful? I was walking through the park a few months ago and I found this little package on the ground."
"The directions said to place it on the organ, keep it wet and that it would prevent the spread of disease. Do you know I haven't had the flu all winter?"

No comments:

Post a Comment