Friday, August 2, 2019

Thursday, August 1, 2019


Last night I went to bed at 11pm, fell asleep quickly, got up at 5am for a drink of water, went back to bed, fell back asleep quickly, finally waking/getting up just before 7am.

Six days remaining until the chess tournament!

I left the apt just after 8am (the temp was a cool 70 degrees) and walked to Bancolombia.  They opened at 8am and I was there about 8:30.  I was in a short line to get my turn number and I observed a rep helping people with the machine.  I was thinking “well, I won’t need help with that”.  When we got to the person ahead of me the rep left and when it was my turn I entered my cedula number and requested a cashier but then it took me to an additional screen. Uh-oh!  As I scanned the 5 different options I guess I took too much time and it took me back to the first screen.  Drat!  I went through it again and this time chose an option – something about transfers of 1,500,000 pesos or less.  As I entered the waiting room my number was called.  I caught the rep and showed her my number and what I wanted to do and I understood I chose the wrong option.  She took me back to the machine, luckily I didn’t have to wait in line again, and this time she entered an option about buying and selling pesos.  Again my number was called as I entered the waiting room.  The cashier didn’t speak English and of course my Spanish is minimal. 
I had to fill out a 1-page form but at least the cashier showed me sections that I could skip.  I soon understood there was some type of problem and after about a 5-minute struggle I pulled out my cellphone for the translator and he said “En el momento no se puede pagar el giro se mandó hacer una validación para poderle realizar el cambio al cliente” which translated to “At the time you can not pay the money order was sent to do a validation to be able to make the change to the customer”.  What I understood is that the transfer hasn’t been approved and I need to return this afternoon (or tomorrow).  If I return this afternoon I believe I can go straight to the same cashier.  I thanked him and left.

At 9am I had my usual breakfast of calentao and café con leche at Carbon de Leña for 9,200 pesos ($3).

I went across the street to the copy center where I bought a plastic storage envelope and a small paper cash envelope.

I walked to Todo Drogas where I bought my medicine and vitamins for the month.

I walked back to the apt.

I received a call from Chuck and we made plans to meet for coffee sometime this afternoon after I take care of my Bancolombia business.

Well, I just got a call from Laura at the Medellin Au Pair office.  She informed me that Laura is being formally withdrawn from the Au Pair program and needs to return to Colombia or she will be an illegal alien.  The reasons cited were her inefficiency in English and an auto accident.

Here’s what I know:
Laura has been with the 2nd family outside Detroit since late February.  Recently, I understand Laura had some “accident” with the car.  She said it was a scratch and the other driver’s fault.  I also heard from Teresa that there was $3000 in damage so who knows.  The host mother told Laura she needs to leave in the next 2 weeks and she won’t be helping Laura find a 3rd family.  (That was about 3 weeks ago.)  I understand Lenny is going to pick up Laura around the 1st of August (yes, I know that’s today) and in the meantime she’s staying with a friend and working as a waitress in a Mexican restaurant.  I don’t know if that’s near Detroit or Boston or some other place.  Laura seems to think she’s not illegal because she has a 13 month visa.  I tried to convince her that the visa is only valid while she’s working as an au pair.  She talked to “others” who convinced her that she is not illegal and of course young kids think they know more than us adults.  To be continued!

Just after noon Teresa called me and asked me if I want to meet her for lunch at a restaurant outside Consumo.  I asked what’s the name of the restaurant?  It’s a restaurant outside Consumo.  After going around in circles a few times we finally decided she would have lunch with her friends outside Consumo and I would go my own way since I have to return to the bank anyway.

I called Chuck and we made plans to meet outside Percimon in La Buena Mesa.

I left the apt just after 12:30 and met Chuck outside Percimon.  We walked to Empire’s New York Pizza where we shared a medium pizza, my half Italian Sausage, his half Italian Sausage and mushroom.  It was delicious!  I then led him to Parva where I had a café con leche latte (again too strong) and an almond cookie and he had a café Americano with a slice of raspberry cheese cake.

On our way downtown we passed Teresa and her girlfriend on the other side of the street.  Teresa was on the phone so I just told her that I forgot my cellphone and I’m on the way to the bank.

I said goodbye to Chuck outside Exito.  Inside Bancolombia there was a long, slow line to get turn numbers.  It took about 10 minutes.  I first looked for the same young man that was assisting me this morning but he wasn’t there.  I waited about an hour inside the bank for my turn.  I think I had the same young lady who has assisted me other months but she seemed to be unsure of something.  Finally the young man who assisted me this morning came over and guided her through something on the computer.  The young man finally told me I need to return tomorrow after 3:30 and I should go directly to him.  Egads!  I feel like I’ve wasted a day with this nonsense.

I went to Banco Caja Social to use their ATM so I could pay the Direct TV bill but there was a line and I didn’t feel like waiting.

I took a bus back to the apt.

I called Teresa and learned she was at Parva with her gym friend(s).  When she returned to the apt I tried to explain to her my problem and that I want her to return to the bank with me tomorrow afternoon.

I talked to Teresa about the Laura situation and I understand Teresa isn’t concerned if she isn’t allowed to visit the US in the future – most important is that Laura is safe and happy.

Teresa told me that she saw a young gringo working out in the gym with a beautiful young Colombiana.  Supposedly, he speaks very good Spanish and the girl is very happy.

I just read on Expat Exchange that the new date for the opening of the tunnel to the airport is August 15th.

Chuck called me with a problem.  His bank informed him that as of the middle of August his card will no longer work and they are sending him a new card with a chip.  The problem is that he no longer lives at the address associated with his card.  I recommended he open an account with Envios Market then give his bank his new address and ask them to cancel the card that they (may have) already sent.  We’re going to meet outside Otra Parte Saturday at 10am and we’ll go there together.  I can then pick up my documents and pay for August and September.

9,870 steps today.

Joke of the day
A dietitian was once addressing a large audience in Chicago. 
"The material we put into our stomachs is enough to have killed most of us sitting here years ago."
“Red meat is awful. Vegetables can be disastrous, and none of us think about the germs in our drinking water.
“However, there is one thing that is the most dangerous of all - and we all eat it. Can anyone here tell me what lethal product I'm referring to?”
“You sir, in the first row, please give us your idea." 
The man lowered his head, wiped away a tear and said: "Wedding cake."

2 comments:

  1. Hey Terry,, Its alan from the bakery. Im sorry we didnt a chance to talk. I usually around there 2-230 each day. I dont have a new number for you. Have a great weekend. Oh, im staying until the 29th of Aug

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great. Maybe we could meet for coffee in La Buena Mesa sometime.

    ReplyDelete