Friday, August 9, 2019

Thursday, August 8, 2019


Last night I went to bed at 10:45, got up once during the night, again at 5am and by 5:30 I gave up hope falling back asleep.

Teresa left at 7pm to get her monthly cancer medication and I left a few minutes later.

It was a cool 72 degrees and I had plenty of time so I walked to Carbon de Lena.  While eating my breakfast Alan stopped by and we chatted a while.  I walked down the hill to Envigado Station and took the metro to the Stadium Station arriving at 9:15 for the 10am 2nd round.  I checked the pairings and I was on table 31.  When I arrived at my table there was a sign – something about “visual”.  I asked a TD and he directed up a level to one of several special tables.  My opponent was blind.  How it worked is he had his own special little set that he continously touched and then he would make the move on his set and call out the move and hit his side of the chess clock.  I would then make the corresponding move on my board.  I don’t know the Spanish words for “capture” or “castling” but we managed okay.  I lost on the 44th move in the endgame when he was about to queen a pawn.

I informed the TD that I wanted a bye in the 3rd round (so I can see the Bears game tonight).

I took the metro back to the Envigado Station and went in to Viva Envigado.  I had lunch in Sarku’s using one of my recycling coupons.

I felt too warm to go for coffee so instead I went into Cine Colombia and after about 15 minutes in that air conditioning I was ready for coffee.

I studied some of my chess tactics then called Teresa but there was no answer.

She called me back later as I was returning to the apt.  She was in Santafe mall with her mother.

Later she informed me she had to wait 3 ½ hours to pick up her medicine this morning.  And that was with her leaving the apt about 8am.

I watched the Chicago Bears lose to the Carolina Panthers.  Well it is only preseason and few of the veterans played.  Still it was good to see NFL football again.

12,225 steps today.

Joke of the day
It was a hot Saturday evening in the summer of 1957 and Fred had a date with Peggy Sue. He arrived at her house and rang the bell. "Oh, come on in!" Peggy Sue's mother said as she welcomed Fred in.
"Have a seat in the living room. Would you like something to drink? Lemonade? Iced tea?" "Iced tea, please," Fred said. Mom brought the iced tea.
"So, what are you and Peggy planning to do tonight?" she asked.
"Oh, probably catch a movie, and then maybe grab a bite to eat at the malt shop, maybe take a walk on the beach..." 
"Peggy likes to screw, you know," Mom informed him.
"Uh...really?" Fred replied, with raised eyebrows.  "Oh, yes!" the mother continued.
"When she goes out with her friends, that's all they do!" "Is that so?" asked Fred, incredulous.
"Yes," said the mother. "As a matter of fact, she'd screw all night if we let her!"
"Well, thanks for the tip," Fred said as he began thinking about alternate plans for the evening.
A moment later, Peggy Sue came down the stairs looking pretty as a picture wearing a pink blouse and a hoop skirt, and with her hair tied back in a bouncy ponytail. She greeted Fred.
"Have fun, kids," the mother said as they left.  Half an hour later, a completely disheveled Peggy Sue burst into the house and slammed the front door behind her.
 "The Twist, Mom!" she angrily yelled to her mother in the kitchen. "That damned dance is called the Twist!"

No comments:

Post a Comment