Saturday, February 29, 2020

Friday, February 28, 2020


Last night I went to bed at 10:30pm, got up once during the night, finally waking at 6:30 and getting up at 7am.


I’m thinking of moving all my documents to the new hard drive except my ChessBase progams, files, and databases.  First I have to make sure I can isolate all of them.


Among new US movie releases, I would like to see The Invisible Man (7.7) which is also playing locally.


I left the apt at 9:30 and at the gym I gave Marcos one of my old Reader’s Digest’s.  We talked about 10 minutes about doctors, clinics, surgery, and prostate problems.


I completed all my exercises without difficulty.  Before I left I tried the Abdominal Crunch machine with 20#.  No shoulder pain and it felt like nothing.  I had been lifting 130# but that was 6 months ago.  I tried it again with 80# and my shoulder felt fine so I think I can continue with that exercise next week, starting with lower weights to make sure my shoulder reacts normally.


Back at the apt I found this in my Fritz 10 Manual:

Archive database

Menu: Tools – Database – Backup Database (or Ctrl-Z)

Click this in the database window. All files that make up the current database will be compressed into a single “archive file” (with the ending .cbv).  


All ChessBase programs can open and unpack these archive files into a normal database. Archive files are compressed and can be sent as a single file by email.”


I checked Shredder but it doesn’t have a Database option under Tools.


I emailed ChessBase “Since I have already copied ALL my files from my old laptop to the new notebook, I know the files are already there.  How do i get ChessBase to access/recognize them?

ChessBase responded…

Normally the databases are located at the standard location which is  ... documents - chessbase.  But it is also possible to start a Windows file search for *.cbh (which is the header part of the database).

Inside Shredder you can open databases by file - open - database.

https://en.chessbase.com/support-kb/content/details/280/Basics%20about%20Databases

https://en.chessbase.com/support-kb/content/details/1005/data%20format

https://en.chessbase.com/support-kb/content/details/377/Databases


Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind Regards”


I searched my files for the .cbh extension and I finally found my Shredder databases at C:\users\terry\documents\documents\chessbase.  I think the problem is when I moved all my files from my laptop to my notebook I inadvertently added an additional “documents” level… so ChessBase can’t find them where it expects them to be at C:\users\terry\documents\chessbase.  After I get my OneDrive situation fixed I’ll try a replace.


I moved all my non-chess and non-Colombia files to my D: drive.

Now I think I’d better wait until OneDrive has all my files synced before I proceed further.


Teresa called me at 12:30 and explained that her mother has some serious problem with her foot (and she’s in the hospital?).  She wants me to have lunch at La Bahia and call her when I arrive.


I called her from the restaurant at 1pm and 10 minutes later she showed up with MT.  It turns out its MT’s 96-year old sister that has the problem.


We had a nice lunch (menu of the day) then MT returned to her apt and Teresa and I took a taxi to Pricesmart for 12mil.  We picked up 2 cases of her almond milk, a bag of roasted & salted pistachio nuts and a Butterball turkey breast.  I also renewed my membership for another year.  A taxi was waiting for us as we arrived downstairs.  Traffic was very heavy as we made our way toward Aguacatala station.  The driver asked Teresa where we were going in Envigado and she said Avenida Las Vegas.  He said traffic was awful there so we should take the highway but we had just passed the entrance ramp.  I’m not sure what it’s called but he did 3 cloverleaf turns to get us heading south on the highway.  After that traffic was heavy but manageable and we returned to the apt by 4pm for 22mil.


I took a nap from 4:30 to 5 and Teresa from 4:30 to 5:30.


Not sure why the last 2 turkey breasts we had didn’t come with it but this time there was a package of gravy.  I had to help translate the gravy directions but for supper we had turkey breast with turkey gravy and it was delicious.  Teresa loved it also.  She joked that she's no longer interested in visiting American because she can now get her turkey here.


Somehow, I managed to copy my old databases (Liga de Ajedres and Jose Cruz games) by merely clicking on them.  I hope that’s enough and permanent.


6,890 steps today.


Joke of the day

Hilarious responses to public notices:

Public notice: (On vending machine.)  Not accepting change.  Thx.

Response: Change is inevitable.  Deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment