Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Tuesday, July 7th, 2015



I slept through the night finally waking with the alarm at 7am.  I reset it for myself for 8am.  I got up when the 8am alarm went off, took my shower, and had a quick breakfast of granola with sliced bananas.

The goal today is to get our teeth cleaned and then look for storage for things she currently has out in plain sight on tables in the kitchen.
The sky was overcast and some clouds looked a little dark but when I asked Teresa said not to bring an umbrella.

We left the finca at 9:50 and got past the killer dogs undetected.  We caught a bus after only a 1 minute wait.  On the bus a man got on and tried to sell those aluminum wallets for 5mil ($1.20).  Everything on the box was in English – it was called a Security Credit Card Wallet.  He did sell a couple of them.

In Envigado we stopped at a small shop where we shared a fresh juice.
In the same small mall as Wilson’s bar we both had our teeth cleaned by dentist Dr. Carlos Andrés Restrepo for a total of 120mil ($48).  His address is Calle 36A Sur #46A-81, local 201; 334 81 67; Cel: 311 316 7093.  His English was good but not perfect.  Teresa made another appointment with him for next Monday at 4:30.  We had lunch for 26mil at Wilson’s Bocados Bar although he didn’t show up until later.  Teresa ordered beef for me and once again it was very chewy and I didn’t finish it.  It rained almost the entire time we were there – about an hour.

After the rain had stopped we walked to the tailor’s and Teresa talked briefly with the lady there.

We stopped downtown at Bancolombia where I took out a little cash.
We stopped at Cosechas where we shared a juice for 4,900.
We walked to the corner of Calle 38 Sur and Carrera 38.  We went into an antique store and it reminded me a lot of places I’ve seen on History channel’s American Pickers.  They had lots of “stuff” but most of it seemed like junk to me.  In one spot they had stacks of hundreds of LP records; I wonder how they are selling.  Lol.

Teresa picked out a storage cabinet she liked for the kitchen for 570mil.  While one of the men who worked there was emptying it out she stopped next door at Le Chiffonnier (Calle 38Sur #37-32; 379 00 66) and found something she liked better – a 4 drawer chest of drawers for 370mil.  I guess she bargained a little because she ended up paying only 350mil ($140) plus another 50mil for glass pull handles for it.

She called Juan Carlos who I had in my cell phone as a mover but I understood he was out of town.  I asked her to ask him if he knew of anyone else and she made arrangements with an Anibal at 310 726 7798.  He arrived with his truck about an hour later.

They put the chest of drawers in the truck, he tied it down, and off we went.  At one point on the way up the side road his wheels just spun in the wet dirt and he didn’t get any further.  A few minutes later another car started coming up the road.  It was after 6pm and I was afraid we wouldn’t get it the chest in before dark.  I suggested to Teresa that I go get the Forearm Forklift straps and she agreed.  

I got past the killer dogs undetected but they started barking after I had safely passed.  I found the straps, changed my shoes and got Laura to come with me to help – either with carrying drawers or holding a light or to keep the killer dogs at bay.  

Luckily the terriers followed us (actually her) and they kept the killer dogs pretty much distracted.

When I got back to the top of the hill they were there with the chest.  Laura took 2 of the drawers and headed to the finca.  The driver wanted to go so I gave him the 100mil ($40) and Teresa and I started down the path.  It took quite a while with the wetness, the killer dogs, and the weight of the chest.  The Forearm Forklift didn’t work so well, probably because of the lack of height of the chest.

We finally got back to the finca with the chest by 6:40pm; just before darkness set in.

I set the alarm for 7am, took my sleeping pills at 11pm and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment