Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Monday, August 3rd, 2015



I fell asleep quickly, waking up once at 6:25am, getting up once at 7:30, finally waking at 8:05 and getting up at 8:25.  On my 7:30 trip to the bathroom I heard the unmistakable sound (at least in the US) of a woodpecker.

It’s still early but my cold seems to be much better this morning.

I noticed a few more bites on my arms today.

At 9:20 a man showed up with a machete strapped to his side.  I think he’s taking the place of Don Carlos in cleaning the garden.  I understand Don Carlos is laid up with prostate problems.  The man’s name is Miguel and he’s doing it for 220,000.  I informed Teresa that Don Carlos only charged 150,000 and she explained that Don Carlos only cut the plants but Miguel will also gather the cut plants and haul them away.

I had Teresa call the hotel to confirm our reservation and ask how much it will cost.  For the two nights including breakfast it will be 265,000COP ($94 total or $47 a night).

We left the finca at 11:05 and got past the killer dogs undetected.  We had to wait 20 minutes in the hot sun for a bus.  

At Carbón de Leña we both had the special of the day although Teresa had messa mora (sp?) instead of juice.

Teresa waited at the restaurant while I went to Bancolombia to pay my health insurance.  There was a short line to use the ATM machine because two of the 6 machines were being refilled.  Of course there was a very attentive guard there with his shotgun at the ready and when the money actually came out another guard had his revolver ready.  I was surprised to see that I got all 50s in cash, usually 2 20s and a 10 are included.

After I got my cash I waited in the preferred line for 30 minutes to make my medical insurance payment for August.

Back at the restaurant I paid 28,500 for lunch.  That’s when I realized I forgot to bring my flash drive so I could print out some real estate papers at the internet store.

On the bus to Santafe CC in El Poblado a young man handed out a couple candies to everyone.  I took them this time and when he came back around I asked him how much.  He said there is no price, whatever you want to pay.  I gave him 400 pesos (about 13 cents) and I probably overpaid.

The open area (forgot the word) in Santafe CC was filled with flowers.  I recognized marigolds but I forget the names of the others.

Teresa shopped in Zara for awhile until she found a blouse she liked for 70mil ($25).  While waiting for her I saw a winter coat for sale with a fur lined hood.  Lol.  

Across the street in Oviedo CC I took out some cash from the Servibanca ATM. 

I got a haircut from Juan David in La Colette for 30mil.

We each had a small fresh juice in Cosechas for 10,300.

We left the mall and were waiting outside for a taxi at 6pm.  All the Envigado buses that passed were standing room only and all the taxis had customers.  Teresa explained that this is the time when everyone is trying to get home from work.  Now I know why Teresa always wanted to wait until 7pm or so to start back to the finca.  

I stopped next door in Office Depot where I picked up another set of 5 hanging files for 6,200 ($2).

Finally at 6:25 we got a taxi and 10 minutes later were on a Rapido Ochoa van back to the finca.

At the bottom of the sideroad Guillermo was waiting for a bus in the dark.   I shone (?) my flashlight on the sideroad and I saw the rottreiler standing there looking like he was wondering what was going on.  I brought him to Guillermo’s attention and he yelled at the dog and it finally went back up the hill.  

Teresa was shocked by something that Guillermo told her and later she told me that the husband of her niece had died.

Teresa talked to her brother on the way up the hill and I trailed behind her in the dark.  As we passed the neighbor (Guillermo’s) house the black dog barked at us but I don’t think the rottweiler was there.

Teresa talked to Vicky and I understand the man isn’t dead but he is in a coma with an aneurysm.  Not good.

I gave Laura 100mil to make this month’s exercise cycle payment and another 150mil to pay the electric bill.

I took my Dristan with my sleeping pills at 11:15 and went to bed at 11:30.

T-shirt of the day: Try hard every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment