Saturday, August 22, 2015

Friday, August 21st, 2015



I slept well despite getting up twice during the night, finally waking/getting up at 8:15.

Among this week’s new US movie releases, there isn’t anything I would like to see.  Locally, I would still like to see Mission Impossible 5 but it isn’t playing anywhere in English.

My ex informed me as to which documents weren’t received by the mortgage company.  In order to recoup some of my expenses I asked her to deposit $100 into my Citibank account before I try sending the other documents again.

I started watching Michael’s movie recommendation Searching for Sugar Man (8.2).  I’m pretty sure I’ve seen at least part of it before.  I finished it.  I have seen at least part of it before.  I checked iTunes and it does offer his music – Sexto Rodriguez.  It’s a great heart warming story that had me close to tears.

A few days ago Laura asked me something about finding out how to study English in the US.  I told her it would be okay to check it out.

The three of us left the finca at 2:30 and got past the killer dogs undetected.  Don Carlos was walking towards us as we walked past his house.  I knew Malu must be nearby so I whistled and she came running.  I gave her my only dog biscuit and we all walked down to the highway.  After a 10 minute wait Don Carlos got on a bus to Caldas.  Malu hung around until Don Carlos’ son came roaring by on his motorcycle and then she raced him up the hill.  Ten minutes later we were on a bus to Medellin.  Traffic was slow and we got to the Poblado station later than we wanted.  We took a taxi up to Parque Lleras and walked about 3 blocks to a building called Rose Street which was across the street from Hooters restaurant.  We went up to the 8th floor to Viajes & Viajes (Travel & Travel).  We were 10 minutes late but were greeted almost immediately.  His name was whatever the Spanish version of Maurice is and he spoke very good English.  Later I learned he went to Atlanta on a travel visa and then switched to a student visa.  He told me everything changed after 9/11 and he moved to Canada for 4 years.  Their offices reminded me of the back offices of those time-sharing presentations with a line of small offices with one presenter in each.
Time went by quickly as I was surprised we were there for an hour and a half.  I learned they sponsor (sell) student locations in English speaking countries around the world.  Laura would stay in a country for 6 months, learn English and then could return to continue (or start) her University studies.  Their charge was $8,000 or 23,000,000 COP and we could lock that price for a year with a $200 deposit.  That price was for Australia or New Zealand, it would be 27,000,000 COP for the US.  The price includes airfare, one month room & board, and the 6 months of English lessons.  They stated that she could get a job earning $1000 a month which would cover her future room & board expenses and begin returning the initial fee to whoever paid it.  I told him, truthfully, that I don’t have $8000 and probably wouldn’t unless/until Teresa were to sell the finca.

I asked Maurice if any children in Colombia learn English in grade school and he said only the upper class.  I asked him if their offer is only good for before college and he said no, it’s just done that way most times.

When we left we walked down to Ay Caramba where we all shared an order of nachos with drinks for 27mil.  They were okay but not great.

We took a taxi to Todo Drogas in Envigado where for 15mil I bought the remainder of the medications I need for my prostate biopsy.  (The Travad rectal was 8,900, the Isodine Ovulo was 1,200 and the Ciprofloxacina was 5mil for the 2 boxes of 10 tablets each.)

We walked to Exito where Teresa picked up a bottle of face cream and I picked up a bottle of liquid soap for the bathroom.  Along with a pack of Extra gum the total came to 30,800.  We waited in line for about 10 minutes and when it was our turn I understood Teresa wanted to pay for it with my Exito points.  Luckily I had kept my password in my cell phone.  Still, it took 20 minutes, the cashier scanned our products 4 different times and consulted with a lady in Customer Service, which luckily was nearby, and they changed my password again.

We took a taxi to the highway and after a 15 minute wait were on a Tratam bus.  Sitting right in front of us was a 35ish gringa and a 25ish Colombiano making out.

We got past the killer dogs undetected and were back at the finca by 9pm.
Today was one of the rare days when I took my Nook with me but didn’t read a word.

I took my sleeping pills at 11:30 and went to bed at 11:45.

No comments:

Post a Comment