Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Tuesday, August 18th, 2015



I got up twice during the night finally waking/getting up at 8:30.

I tried Slingbox on Internet Explorer again and it worked fine. I tried it again on Mozilla Firefox but again just got “Initializing”.

I went to check out a new TV series that Direct TV has been advertising named Holland’s Hope.  It turns out it’s in Dutch with Spanish subtitles – obviously not for me.

I typed up my prostate biopsy procedure instructions in Spanish, ran them through the translator and then rewrote them in English.

We left the finca at 1:20 and got past the killer dogs undetected.  Teresa asked me to bring the large umbrella today – I have no idea why because to me it didn’t look like rain.  We waited 30 minutes in the cloud covered sun for a bus to Envigado.  We walked a couple blocks to Exito.

We had lunch at Frisby – Chicken Combo #2 for me and Frischuleta for Teresa.  We also shared a vegetable soup for a total of 44,700.

Inside Exito there is a small store with “paper” services called Docuprint.  First I made a copy of some of my documents.  The 18 pages cost 1,800 pesos and I then wrote the loan number on each page.  Unfortunately, they didn’t have a fax machine.  Teresa waited outside the store while I took a taxi to downtown Envigado where I knew of an internet cafĂ© with a fax machine.  After a 10 minute wait it was my turn and I told the woman I wanted to fax 45 pages to the United States.  She fed the pages into her machine one page at a time.  While doing that she also assisted other customers.  Some were printing pages from the internet using their computers.  Some were asking for pages to be copied.  I noticed that often she lost the fax connection and had to redial.  Often.  (While she was busy with that I tried to print my flight itinerary from my email account.  On the last step I got some type of error so I just gave up.)  It took 40 minutes to fax all the pages.  It cost 3,000 pesos for each page for a total of 135,000 pesos (that’s $45).  Wow!  I didn’t have that much cash on me so I had to go to a nearby ATM machine to withdraw enough cash.

I asked her for the “ok” page and she started tearing off separate “ok”pages showing 0, 1, or 2 pages transmitted on each.  There was a lot of paper on the floor so I have no idea what belonged to me and what didn’t.  When I added them all up it only showed a total of 13 pages.  Sigh!

We took a taxi to the highway and waited 15 minutes for a bus back to the road leading up to the finca.  On the way up the hill we were greeted by an excited Malu and I gave her a dog biscuit.  She put her head between my legs – not sure if she was sniffing for more dog biscuits or if that was a dog’s sign of appreciation.

We got back to the finca just before dark – and with no rain.

I watched my favorite movie – The Shawshank Redemption (9.3) - arguably the best movie ever made.

I took my sleeping pills at 11:45 and went to bed at midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment