Friday, August 28, 2015

Thursday, August 27th, 2015



Last night was cold so I put on my socks before going to bed.

I slept well, getting up once at 6am, getting up again at 7am to take my prostate medication, finally waking/getting up at 8:50am.

Today I was successful getting into Slingbox from Mozilla Firefox.

There were lots of good articles in today’s Medellin Living News:
Tomorrow, August 28, sees the release of the new Netflix series Narcos which follows two DEA agents in the hunt to take down Pablo Escobar. Narcos was filmed on location in Colombia with the blessing of President Santos.  I'm doubtful it will be better than the Colombian-made telenovela Patron del Mal, but given the power of Netflix distribution, it'll be much more widely viewed. Check out this positive review on The Verge for the trailer and details.
This month also saw Tom Cruise in Medellín to film scenes for Mena, which tells the story of Barry Seal, an American drug pilot for Escobar turned informant. Cruise even stopped into one of our favorite restaurants, Carmen, for a bite to eat. 
But it's not all narco-culture. Some of Medellín's top fashion bloggers, including Laura Echavarria, were recently featured in a New York Times video.
And then there's the story of the falling peso. It's falling fast and hard against the dollar, breaking the 3,000-pesos-to-the-dollar mark for the first time in at least 10 years.  The official exchange rate as I write you today is 3,261 pesos for every $1. The dollar's value is close to double what it was just 12 months ago.
I’ll post some of their articles after today’s post.

I called Slingbox about my audio problem: static from left channel but good audio from the right channel.  They gave me some things to try which I emailed to my son in Chicago.

At 1pm it started raining and Teresa ran out to get the clothes off the line.  Good news, no roof leaks.  It stopped 30 minutes later.

I watched Rashomon (8.3) – boring! then Seven Samurai (8.7) – wow, 3 ½ hours long!  It’s the inspiration for The Magnificent Seven.

Teresa and I were going to watch a movie delivered from my laptop but the batteries are dead on the TV remote control.

Tomorrow we leave early for Caldas to buy dog food and some plant pots.  Also some AAA batteries.  I understand we have to leave early in order for Walter to be available to bring us back.

I took my sleeping pills at 11pm and went to bed.

T-shirt of the day: Aesthetics of assertion.

No comments:

Post a Comment