Monday, November 30, 2015

Sunday, November 29th, 2015



I fell asleep rather quickly but was awakened by the dogs at 4:10am and again at 5:50am.  I finally fell back asleep and woke/got up about 9am.

Teresa is having fun decorating the finca for Christmas.  I understand we are going to Mayorca today but instead of seeing a movie we are going to buy a pair of bluejeans for Vickie’s son Samuel (go figure) and buy some artificial flowers to decorate the finca for Christmas.  I understand Albero will meet us at the mall to pick up the jeans.

I sent an email to the Chess League of Antioquia requesting information on upcoming chess tournaments, another email to Eddie’s landlord Lisa asking if she has a room/bed suitable for 2, and an email to A Foreign Affair requesting a refund of the $31.32 they still hold in my account.

Peluche seems to be getting better as I see him touching his bad foot to the ground occasionally.  I think we have about 4 pills remaining.

I signed up with www.AirBnB.com and I received an answer from Lina (not really Lisa) that she has a large bedroom with private bath in Laureles for $40 per night for two.  It’s a little expensive and a good place to start but in time I would like to try a number of different places.

We left the finca at 2:10 and got past the killer dogs undetected.  After only a 1 minute wait we were on a bus to Mayorca CC.

It was very crowded inside and outside the mall due to an outdoor concert going on.  Also there seemed to be a lot of sales.

Teresa found a pair of jeans for Samuel for 56mil.  We wanted to have lunch at Frisby but the line was too long so we stopped at Qbano which is a Subway like hot sandwich restaurant.  I had chicken teriyaki and Teresa had something which I thought translated to “old clothes” for 33,600.  The small combo sandwiches were large enough and were cut in half so we switched entrees for the 2nd half.  I liked them both.

We found the Christmas store upstairs and I understood Teresa wanted to copy what sounded like a “mural” (not sure what to call it; a horizontal wreath?) that was displayed in the store.  She spent over an hour choosing different things to decorate it with.  Several times I went across the hall to the movie theatre looking for Albero.

Just as Teresa seemed to be finalizing what she wanted Albero showed up.  They talked awhile and when we finally made our way to the cashier Teresa noticed a large wreath behind the counter and I understood she wanted to switch to the wreath.  I put my foot down and said “no”.  Everything cost 158,277 or about $55.

We went downstairs to Mimo’s where we all had a small strawberry sundae for 19,200 (about $6.35).  I learned from Albero that his son Samuel leaves for Argentina tomorrow for 15 days to play field hockey.  He also told me that Atletico Nacional plays Cali tonight in the semifinals.

Albero left for his motorcycle and we walked over to the highway and after about a 20 minute wait were on a Coonotra (sp?) bus.  It was new, similar to a Greyhound Bus with large comfortable seats, a restroom, and wifi.  The futbol game was playing on the radio.  At one of the stops a woman came on carrying a small girl (6 years old?) who had both her legs in a cast up to her hips.  Teresa told me that is to straighten what seemed like bowleggedness.

With no moonlight and my flashlight turned off we got past the killer dogs undetected and were back at the finca by 7pm.

I found out Atletico Nacional tied Cali 0-0; must have been an exciting match.  Obvious sarcasm!

Teresa had a little problem attaching the “wreath” to the brick kitchen wall but she eventually managed it.

I received an email from my brother.  He’s visiting here again January 29th through February 6th.  Joining him will be his girlfriend Joan, our half sister Cyd and her boyfriend Bruce.

I took 2 sleeping pills at 10:35, set the alarm to 7am and went to bed at 11pm.

T-shirt of the day: If you love me let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Terry,

    Teresa's meal at Qbano was prolly 'ropa vieja', so you were right about the name. Ropa vieja is a dish made with stewed beef (flank steak, often) in a tomato-based sauce seasoned with bay leaves, oregano, and sometimes also capers or olives. When it is ready the beef looks all shredded, hence the name 'ropa vieja, or old clothes'.

    That plus the restaurant name Qbano would be pronounced 'cubano' i.e., Cuban, & ropa vieja is a very popular Cuban dish! (All the Cuban restaurants here in Tampa (FL) –and we do have a PASSEL of them here– serve ropa vieja. Yum!)

    Cheers!

    Paul M.
    ==

    ReplyDelete