Wednesday, November 25, 2015

The Problem

This is the problem that I shared with Teresa Monday night.



In 2014 Colombia passed a new law (article 43 of law 1739 of 2014) effective 2015 that all residents must pay taxes on their world wide income.  I don’t think that is fair since I pay taxes on my US income to the US every year.  If I earned income here I would understand having to pay Colombian taxes.  So far I’m not aware of any gringos who have had to pay this tax but because of this change many who were thinking of retiring here are looking elsewhere and many who live here are considering leaving.

Because of this I want to delay signing the Union Libre document at the notary and I want to renew my Visa next month again as a Pensionado.

I don’t know what effect this may have financially in the future.  If I need to pay taxes to Colombia and the Peso drops in value there may be a lot of things in the future I may not be able to afford.

No comments:

Post a Comment