Monday, June 14, 2021

Sunday, June 13, 2021

Last night I went to bed at 10:30, took a little while to fall asleep, got up twice during the night, put a blanket over my sheet, again took a while to fall back asleep, finally waking/getting up at 7am.

Teresa informed me we would be going out for lunch. I suggested Otra Parte but she said it was just the same old pasta.

I left the apt at 7:45 in 66-degrees with overcast skies. It was a 20-minute walk to De Lolita Frontera where I had 2 huevos sencillos (simple eggs) for 9mil con hogao (with tomato and onion) for 2,200 additional, a croissant for 3,300, and a café con leche for 5,400. I asked if they had any butter or marmalade, and she gave me a little dish of maracuja jelly. (It’s an orangish local fruit with little edible seeds.) Not wanting to carry them I left the 2 50-peso coins in change in their tip jar.

I walked to Starbucks at Calle 4 Sur where I had my usual Café Mocha Blanco for 9,500. I left at 10am for my walk back to the apt. and on the way I saw a billboard advertisement for A Quiet Place 2. I looked carefully to see which theater it was playing at but it was obviously just a general advertisement. Crossing the bridge I heard a couple speaking English. They were from Canada and strangely they seemed to always be here when the Covid-19 infections were highest.

When I returned to the apt I told Teresa I had another idea for lunch. We could go to Los Porteños and have the sandwiches she’s been raving about. She said she would like to order from Chiclayo so I agreed but Laura would have to place the order again.

And…the drizzle started just before 12:30 which soon turned into a downpour but it didn’t last long.

Teresa made pasta for lunch. 😊

On the afternoon news I only caught the end but I understood Cine Colombia is offering free popcorn for their reopening (which is scheduled for this Tuesday, June 15th).

I wanted to go to Parva for coffee but checking my blog I couldn’t find an instance where I went there on a Sunday so I’ll bet they aren’t open today. I left the apt at 3:30 and walked to the mall. Todo Fresa had no available tables to I went up to the 2nd floor. Cine Colombia had their gates up, a family was sitting inside, others were walking around but it won’t open for movies until Tuesday.

I had a café con leche and an almond croissant at Santa Leña. I left at 5pm, bought 3 bags of milk in Exito and returned to the apt by taxi.

As soon as I walked inside Teresa told me she wants to go to Los Porteños for a sandwich. (I know I shouldn’t have had the croissant!)

We left the apt at 6:15 and walked to Los Porteños. Teresa ordered Medialuna Pernil sandwiches for each of us. It appears medialuna means sandwich in Argentina and pernil is ham. The meat comes in a delicious croissant the only problem being there were 3 layers of ham residing at one end of the sandwich and nothing at the other end. It definitely needed some repositioning. The total cost was 42,500 and I tipped the waiter and the girl who brought the check.

I’m feeling some aches from my long Sunday walks; not sure if it’s old age or just that my body’s not used to it.

 

The New York Times’ 7-day average of new daily infections and deaths has the US with 14,772 ð 14,464 ð 14,288 new cases and 413 ð 384 ð 362 new deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of yesterday Colombia has a total of 3,694,707 ð 3,724,705 ð 3,753,224 cases with 94,615 ð 95,192 ð 95,778 deaths.  Medellin has 320,451 ð 322,185 ð 323,908 cases, an increase of 1,723 from June 12th to 13th. Envigado has a total of 25,581 cases, an increase of 82 from June 12th to 13th.

South America is being hit harder than any other continent, with nearly all of its countries having among the highest rates of new infections and deaths.

The United States says it will buy 500 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for distribution to 100 low- and middle-income countries – the biggest commitment any country has made so far, but still only enough to fully vaccinate 3 percent of the world’s population.

1 comment:

  1. Terry, I believe you are three years older than me. Therefore, your aches after your long walks are not from old age. I refuse to believe you are old if I am only three years younger than you.

    ReplyDelete