Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Monday, May 31, 2021

Happy Memorial Day!

Last night I went to bed at 10:30, fell asleep quickly, got up once at 6am fell back asleep, finally waking/getting up at 7am.

The streets are wet so obviously we already had some rain this morning.

Not sure if Teresa is going to the finca today because the wet road might prevent a truck/car from getting up the road.

Teresa left at 8:30. I understand she’s skipping gym and heading directly to the finca.

 I left five minutes later in a light drizzle. I walked to Parque Envigado where I bought my monthly medications at Todo Drogas and a couple more money envelopes at the copy center.

I walked to the mall where I collected my World Remit cash and paid for the apt, my health insurance, Teresa’s gym, and my chess lessons.

I went to Santa Leña where I had a café con leche with a whole wheat croissant.

I left about 11:30 and took a taxi back to the apt.

For lunch I ordered a burger from a new place (for me) called Clap Burger. I was surprised to see they have an Envigado location, not far from Aymara. I don’t recall seeing them before. The burger, fries, and Coke were packed well; they even kept the onion and tomatoes separate so you can put them on yourself.

I finished watching the three seasons of the series The Sinner. Very good!

Teresa returned at 4:30 and informed me that the worker she hired is lazy and she needs to always keep an eye on him, so she’ll need to return to the finca each day until the work is finished.

Yesterday I forgot to wear my step counter but today I remembered, and I clocked 5,467 steps.

It started raining in the evening.

I put batteries in one of the finger pulse oximeters and we each had identical readings – 96 (oxygen saturation) and 67 pulse strength).

It was still raining when we went to bed at 10:30. Teresa opened the bedroom window a little further, so I opened the bathroom window and put a blanket over my sheet. (Homes in Medellin don’t have furnaces and it’s rare for one to have air conditioning. You control the indoor temperature primarily by opening and closing windows and secondarily by changing to warmer or cooler clothing.) I usually sleep with just a sheet but occasionally, on cool rainy nights like this, I add a thin blanket.

 

Johns Hopkins’ 7-day average of new infections and deaths has the US with 21,104 ð 20,055 ð 17,189 new cases and 457 ð 445  ð 392 new deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of this afternoon Colombia has a total of 3,363,061 ð 3,383,279  ð 3,406,456 cases with 87,747 ð 88,282  ð 88,774 deaths. Medellin has 302,031 ð 303,710  ð 304,477 cases, an increase of 767 from May 30th to 31st. Envigado has a total of 24,572 cases, an increase of 27 from May 30th to 31st.

 

Joke of the day

On the first day, God created the dog and said, "Sit all day by the door of your house and bark at anyone who comes in or walks past. For this, I will give you a life span of twenty years." The dog said, "That's a long time to be barking. How about only ten years and I'll give you back the other ten?" And God saw it was good.

 

On the second day, God created the monkey and said, "Entertain people, do tricks, and make them laugh. For this, I'll give you a twenty-year life span." The monkey said, "Monkey tricks for twenty years? That's a pretty long time to perform. How about I give you back ten like the dog did?" And God, again saw it was good.

 

On the third day, God created the cow and said, "You must go into the field with the farmer all day long and suffer under the sun, have calves and give milk to support the farmer's family. For this, I will give you a life span of sixty years." The cow said, "That's kind of a tough life you want me to live for sixty years. How about twenty and I'll give back the other forty?" And God agreed it was good.

 

On the fourth day, God created humans and said, "Eat, sleep, play, marry and enjoy your life. For this, I'll give you twenty years." But the human said, "Only twenty years? Could you possibly give me my twenty, the forty the cow gave back, the ten the monkey gave back, and the ten the dog gave back; that makes eighty, okay?" "Okay," said God, "You asked for it." So that is why for our first twenty years, we eat, sleep, play and enjoy ourselves. For the next forty years, we slave in the sun to support our family. For the next ten years, we do monkey tricks to entertain the grandchildren. And for the last ten years, we sit on the front porch and bark at everyone. Life has now been explained to you.

1 comment:

  1. RE: Jok of the Day . . . .
    Funny stuff, but rather difficult to read with the dark blue background and the white reverse type.
    Just sayin'
    ==

    ReplyDelete