Saturday, June 12, 2021

Friday, June 11, 2021

Last night I went to bed at 10:30, fell asleep quickly, got up once around 2am, again at 4am, finally gave up and got up at 4:30. I went back to bed at 6am, didn’t seem to really fall back asleep, finally getting up at 7:30.

We have no milk so I’ll be going out for breakfast.

Teresa was being picked up at 9:30 and she offered me a ride to the mall but I declined. I left at 9:15 and walked to the mall. I had the breakfast special for 10mil at Habia Una Vez. At Auros I printed some chess notes and asked to make a color copy of the front page of my chess book. (I wanted to use that as the cover for my 3-ring binder.) The girl looked inside, saw the copyright notice and told me she couldn’t do it but I could go to the other mall. She pointed toward the mall where Wilson’s bar is (I think it’s called The South Terminal).

I went to Baloto to pay some bills but it wasn’t open yet.

Back in the mall I recycled a plastic bottle then checked for the location of the Wajaca restaurant. I remember Medellin Guru mentioning they had a location here but I didn’t recall where. Of course it’s on the 3rd floor restaurant area near the back elevators.

At the Davivienda ATM it told me right away the maximum I could withdraw was 800mil so I requested that and darned if it didn’t give me all 20s.

I paid for Teresa’s cellphone bill in Claro then went to Todo Fresa where I killed a couple hours checking my chess notes.

About 1:30 I went back up to the 3rd floor where I had chicken teriyaki at Sarku’s.

In Exito I found an edition of Gente newspaper. I used to be able to find separate Poblado and Envigado editions, this is just called a neighborhood edition.

Outside Exito I paid the utility and wifi bills at Baloto.

I walked across the street to the other mall and found the place where they could make me a color copy. The woman said it would cost 15mil (about $4) but I agreed. She put it on the copier open face and then put strips of paper to fill in the edges so it wouldn’t copy the other side of the scanner. One side didn’t come out perfect but it was good enough for my purposes. I gave her a 20mil bill. She asked me if I had something simpler and I guess I obviously looked confused but she gave me 19mil in change. Go figure!

In the taxi on the way back to the apt I realized I forgot to buy milk so I guess I’ll be going out again.

I left about 3:30 and stopped at Los Porteños and confirmed I had their correct cellphone number. I asked why they don’t answer when I call and the girl said it was for Whatsapp orders only. Face palm!

I had coffee at Parva while reviewing my chess notes and after about 30 minutes of dark clouds and hearing thunder I decided I’d better get a move on. I bought two bags of milk and returned to the apt by 5:30 before the rain started 10 minutes later.

Michael resigned our game increasing my rating to an all-time high of 1536.

The ice maker still doesn’t dispense ice cubes or crush ice. The one clue I have is that it looks like there’s frost forming on the freezer and the ice cubes. From what I can find on the internet it appears the flap on the chute doesn’t close properly allowing moisture to enter the freezer. I checked our receipt and we purchased it on June 30, 2020 so even with only a 1-year warranty we should still be covered for a couple weeks. Just found out it’s still creating ice and dropping it into the container that is no longer there. As soon as the current ice melts in the container then I’ll replace it and empty it every so often. I managed to melt the remaining ice and replace the container before the next set of ice dropped. Tomorrow morning I’ll empty it and the amount will give me a good idea of how often I have to do that.

Teresa returned at 6:15; at least now she says the work on the patio at the finca is done. She says she still has some work to do in the front but it can wait until September or so.

The evening news showed showed some serious flooding in Medellin and later Steve sent me 3 videos of the same. Sad!

 

The New York Times’ 7-day average of new daily infections and deaths has the US with 14,809 ð 13,409 ð 14,772 new cases and 416 ð 387 ð 413 new deaths. (They both went up – that was unexpected.)

Per Medellin Guru, as of yesterday Colombia has a total of 3,635,835 ð 3,665,137 ð 3,694,707 cases with 93,473 ð 94,046 ð 94,615 deaths.  Medellin has 316,979 ð 318,638 ð 320,451 cases, an increase of 1,808 from June 10th to 11th. Envigado has a total of 25,397 cases, an increase of 95 from June 10th to 11th.

 

T-shirt of the day

The truth is barely pure and never simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment