Thursday, June 10, 2021

Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Last night I went to bed at 10:30, fell asleep quickly, got up once around 2am, finally waking/getting up at 7am.

I had been putting a single eye drop into my right eye every hour for the past five days. Now I’m to put one in both eyes every three hours until told to stop.

Yesterday the television displayed a reminder that our Direct TV payment is due so I guess that’s something I’ll take care of today.

The ice dispenser is still funky; it keeps making the sound for crushing ice but it doesn’t stop and nothing comes out of the chute. I got out the Samsung manual and of course it’s all in Spanish. I started to translate using my cellphone app but soon gave up. I did a search for the make and model on the internet and found a very similar model. Following their manual instructions I managed to remove the ice container and I could see where the works got frozen so I put it in the sink to melt. This might need to be done on a regular basis.

Teresa left for the finca at 9:30. I left at 10am and walked to the mall. While waiting for the walk light across from the mall I saw a couple policemen just standing there under one of those side less tents. I asked Herman about that and he said he talked to them and they’re just bringing more security to the area (it is a strato 6 area).

At Baloto there was a line of about 8 people ahead of me. While still at the end a woman walking by stopped and informed me that there’s another Baloto inside Exito. I paid the Direct TV bill the went into the mall where I bought an 8,000 peso ½” 3-ring binder in Dollar City for my London System notes. I had coffee and an almond croissant in Santa Leña. One of the waitresses asked me my name and now I’m Don Terry. 😊

I left at 12:30 and outside the mall I caught a bus to Sabaneta. I got off a block from Parque Sabaneta and walked 3 blocks down (west) to a restaurant named Picnic that I read about in Medellin Guru. What’s interesting is that the seating is on one side of the street and the kitchen is on the other side of the street. I had their lasagna which was as good as advertised and I also had a Piña Colada smoothie.

Back at Avenida Poblado I got on a Sabaneta bus not knowing nor caring if it would be going down Avenida Las Vegas or Avenida Poblado. I got off at McDonald’s and walked the last 2 blocks to the apt. As I walked inside the porteria the portero gave me our utility bill of 330mil. It keeps going up – I understand those of us in stratos 5 and 6 are paying more to help those in stratos 1 and 2.

I planned on dropping off some things and continuing on to Parva for coffee but I ended up just staying put.

The ice had melted from the ice crusher. I chipped away the remaining frost from inside the refrigerator and replaced the ice crusher. According to the directions it will be 8 hours before there is enough ice for the ice crusher to work again.

There was a knock at the door and my first thought was Teresa sure finished early today but it was a portero to give me our wifi bill.

I finished Boyhood and started watching Promising Young Woman.

About 4:30 I noticed the street was wet yet I hadn’t heard anything; must have been a real quick shower. I guess it still counts as a rainy day.

Coincidentally, Jeff of Medellin Guru wrote a recommendation on the Mexican restaurant Wajaca that we just ordered from for the first time the other day.

Teresa returned at 6pm with a fancy box about 12” x 12” with an engraved top. Inside were 30 eggs each nestled in its own slot.

 she says one more day or two should finish things up. She talked to someone and I understand she won’t be returning to the finca tomorrow, but Friday.

 

The New York Times’ 7-day average of new daily infections and deaths has the US with 15,091 ð 14,03 ð 14,809 new cases and 459 ð 438 ð 416 new deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of yesterday Colombia has a total of 3,593,016 ð 3,611,602 ð 3,635,835 cases with 92,496 ð 92,923 ð 93,473 deaths.  Medellin has 314,256 ð 315,769 ð 316,979 cases, an increase of 1,289 from June 8th to 9th. Envigado has a total of 25,186 cases, an increase of 87 from June 8th to 9th.

 

Joke of the day

All the members of the company's Board of Directors were called into the Chairman's office, one after another, until only Ted, the junior member, was left sitting outside.

Finally, it was his turn to be summoned.    Ted entered the office to find the Chairman and the other four Directors seated at the far end of the boardroom table. Ted was instructed to stand at the other end of the table, which he did.   

The Chairman looked Ted squarely in the eye, and with a stern voice, he asked:  "Have you ever had sex with my secretary, Miss Floyd?"

"Oh, no, sir, positively not...!" Ted replied.   

"Are you absolutely sure...?" asked the chairman.   

"Honestly, I've never been close enough to even touch her...!"   

"You'd swear to that...?"   

"Yes, I swear I've never had sex with Miss Floyd, anytime, anywhere..." insisted Ted.

"Good. Then YOU fire her.”

1 comment:

  1. I was on the Board of Directors for a mid-cap corporation once. We had a somewhat similar situations arise. I was amazed how many men had violated corporate policy regarding fraternization with employees with those they supervised. We clawed back bonus money from several to recoup money paid out to the women.

    ReplyDelete