Thursday, June 17, 2021

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Last night I went to bed at 10:30, fell asleep quickly, got up twice during the night, woke up at 5am and got up at 5:30.

It was drizzling lightly but soon stopped.

Teresa told me she tried to get her vaccination yesterday at Santafe mall but the line was too long. She left at 7:45 for her 8am gym class.

I left the apt at 9am and walked to the mall. I noticed a long line of cars waiting for their owner to get vaccinated. (What an awkward sentence.) I recycled a plastic bottle then had coffee in Todo Fresa. When I left I bought a number of items in Exito before returning to the apt.

After lunch I returned to the mall to Cine Colombia. There were only two people ahead of me in line. They are maintaining the 2-meter distancing and the cashiers are protected by a hard plastic shield. I bought a ticket for 8,100 pesos (about $2.10) to the 7:20pm showing of A Quiet Place 2. A lot of the seats appeared to be taken but my guess is they will probably be empty to maintain social distancing.

I bought a couple hangers for shorts at Home Center for 18mil and returned to the apt by taxi.

Wow, we’ve actually got mostly blue skies this afternoon but its too late to get us over our usual high of 82-degrees.

Oh %&$# the newsfeed on my laptop switched to Spanish and I can’t see how to change it back to English.

I left again at 6:30 and walked to the mall. (Still a line of cars waiting to enter the vaccination area in the mall garage.) Outside Cine Colombia there was what appeared to be a long line. Under closer inspection it was two lines, one to enter and a slightly longer one to buy tickets. While waiting to enter, I ran into Jose Avendaño, the young movie aficionado I first met at the Parque Envigado Smartfit with Oscar (Jorge). It was good to hear he and his family are well. He went to meet someone he’s seeing the same movie with. When I got to the front of the line the holdup seemed to be only that an employee was checking that you had a ticket and directing you in the correct direction for your theater.

I went in and got in a longer line at the concession stand. This line snaked back and forth reminding me of Disney World. I had time to note some changes in their menu and servicing. There was no longer a small popcorn, no soda dispenser (only bottle drinks), and instead of giving you a tray for your food they packed everything in a grocery-style paper bag.

I was in line for 40-minutes to get a medium bucket of popcorn and a regular Coke. In the 15 months since my last movie, I had forgotten I had money on my Platinum card. It turned out to be 51,750 pesos, plenty to cover my 17,000 purchase. Because of advertisements and coming attractions I still arrived at my seat five minutes before the movie. It was obvious they have some seats marked off that are not to be sat on.

Boy was it nice to take off my mask, eat popcorn and drink a soda while watching a good movie and it was a very good movie. I can’t believe I finished most of the bucket of popcorn and most of the bottle of Coke.

It was only 9:15 as I left the theater and stood in a short line to catch a taxi back to the apt.

 

The New York Times’ 7-day average of new daily infections and deaths has the US with 14,020 ð 13,721 ð 12,819 new cases and 339 ð 341 ð 331 new deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of yesterday Colombia has a total of 3,777,600 ð 3,802,052  ð 3,829,879 cases with 96,366 ð 96,965  ð 97,560 deaths.  Medellin has 324,710 ð 326,530  ð 328,198 cases, an increase of 1,668 from June 15th to 16th. Envigado has a total of 25,835 cases, an increase of 97 from June 15th to 16th.

 

T-shirt of the day

Our summer to do list.

1 comment:

  1. Terry, in the past you have included pictures in some of your postings. If it is not too much of a process, could you include more pictures in future postings??
    Jack Williams

    ReplyDelete