Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Monday, December 1st, 2014

5 minutes after I went to bed I heard what sounded like fireworks but not the usual testing from the fireworks company.  15 minutes later I realized I forgot to take my sleeping pill so I got up for that and also looked out the window.  The fireworks were coming from the direction of the fireworks company, but they were all the same and of the simplest kind with no color.

I didn’t get up until 6am when the dogs started barking from the tree cutting down by the highway.  They didn’t stop barking for the next 90 minutes.  We finally got up at 8am.

Another indication you’re getting old is when you sneeze and feel you’ve pulled your back out.

It’s time to start working on renewing my Pensionado Visa.  I sent an initial email to James Lindzey asking for the Fax# that I should have my Benefits Letter sent to.  Also while downtown today I hope to get my new photos taken.

I ordered some clothesline and related things for Teresa and a Dog Repeller whistle for myself from Amazon for $51.65.

We left the finca at 11am and got past the killer dogs undected.  After a 10 minute wait we were on an express bus to Mayorca CC. 

I took some cash out of a different machine – Banco Caja Social – and I noticed it had a 700mil limit.  We stopped at the tailors where Teresa tried on the repaired blouse again.  This time she was happy with it and I paid 30mil.  We went up to the top floor where we found a Christmas store that had a lot of beautiful things.  Outside was an interesting display of miniatures under glass.  A man handed each of us a loupe (magnifying glass) that we needed to see Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Road Runner and Wiley Coyote.  There were others but we didn’t stick around to see the rest.  Teresa tried on some shoes in various stores but didn’t find anything she liked.

We had lunch in their food court.  Teresa had her usual Frischuleta and juice and I had a Friburrito and Colombiana for a total of 36,600.

We stopped at the Totto store where I picked up my repaired fanny pack for 7,500.  It looks like new and has a 6 month warranty so I’d better keep the receipt.  While I was waiting I noticed they have two payment lines: one was for cash and cards and the other was for credit cards and “abonos”.  I looked it up later and it means “fertilizer or manure”.  ?

Teresa is looking for some cheap jeans so we stopped in several stores, finally stepping into American Brands where I bought my jeans.  While she tried on several pairs I talked to one of the salesman who spoke near perfect English.  I asked him where he learned such good English and said playing Xbox.  Teresa didn’t find the jeans she wanted.

We took the metro to Parque Berrio and walked 4 blocks to Natalia’s office building on Avenida Oriental.  We got on the elevator with a middle aged woman and a young woman who, like many teenagers today, was engrossed in her cell phone.  The floor number buttons were very hard to see – like they had been worn off over many years.  I looked closer and saw that floors 3 and 4 were already pushed so I pushed 6.  The doors opened on 3 and both ladies got off.  I thought that maybe the young lady wasn’t paying attention and got off early.  The elevator stopped on the 4th floor and Teresa got off.  I asked her where she was going because we need to go to 6 as the doors were closing and I tried to hold the door and then find which button would open the doors.   I got off on 6 and waited for Teresa to join me which she did a couple minutes later. 

Natalia appeared to remember me and Teresa talked to her for about 30 minutes.  I wanted to know: how early or late I could pay my bill each month; if Teresa was successful in getting herself and Laura added to my policy; if my policy covered more than just accident and emergency care; how I could have the same prostate biopsy done and have it at least partially covered by insurance.  I decided I would magicJack my brother later to get my questions answered.

From there we went into a nearby mall where Teresa continued looking for shoes and jeans.  The mall looked familiar – it’s called Camino de Real – and I’m sure I’ve been there a couple times with Reina.  We finally sat down and had a juice for a total of 6,900.

We walked 4 blocks to Magifoto at Calle 53 #49-147 where I hoped to get my photos taken.  I had written down my requirements:
3 3cm x 4cm
4 5cm x 5cm
1 on CD

As she went through the list it sounded like maybe some of the requirements had changed but she did agree on the price of 10mil.  If you remember from last year I showed up in a t-shirt and had to come back wearing a blue shirt.  This time I came with a light blue shirt but she told us I have to wear a dark blue or black shirt.  Sigh!

We walked 4 blocks to the metro where we took it to Envigado.  After a 10 minute wait we caught an express bus back to the finca.  The tree trimming seemed to have stopped for the day.  It was about 5:30 and we got past the neighbor’s house undetected.  I felt comfortable as soon as the Fox Terriers joined us on the path so I put my pepper spray away.  Just then the neighbor’s dogs came charging down the path but they stopped short of us when they saw the Terriers.

I tried to call my brother but couldn’t get magicJack to work.  I spent about an hour chatting with two different reps but the best they came up with was for me to give them $6 shipping so they could send me an upgraded hardware unit.  I decided to pass for now.

We finished watching Rain Man and started watching Tremors.


I took my sleeping pill just before we went to bed at 10pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment