Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Tuesday, December 30th, 2014



I got up once at 5am and I understood Laura was taking her shower in the main bathroom so I used the guest one.

Teresa woke me up at 7am for 70mil for Laura.  I told her where my fanny pack was and gave her the cash.  That leaves about 220mil for us today although I could still take another 100mil out of an ATM in a pinch.
I saw my package and document are still “in transit” at MBE.

Now Teresa tells me we are going to her mother’s apartment tomorrow to celebrate New Years Eve.  Five minutes later she asks me if I want to go to Sopetran tomorrow.  Sigh!

We left the finca about 9:30 and were challenged by the doberman who didn’t seem fazed in the least by my Dog Repeller.  I did get one spray off on him that distracted him long enough for us to get away.  The other dog kept his distance.  

Besides visiting the doctor I understand we need to buy at least 3 AA batteries, arepas, and butter.

We took a bus to Envigado and a taxi up to the Nueva eps clinic.  We waited 10 minutes for a patient to come out of the office and Teresa stuck her head in, showed the doctor my test results, and we left.  I understood we have to call for an appointment with an Urologist to look at my test results.  

We walked to the other side of the park where Teresa talked to a lady at a barber ship.

We left 5 minutes later and went 2 doors down to an Exito.  I found my batteries while Teresa found some dye for her hair.  She keeps asking me if she can have a lighter color but I always tell her I prefer black.  I reminded her we need to buy arepas and butter and she said later in Caldas.  We also picked up a couple packages of peanuts and I paid 27,550 for everything.
We went back to the barber shop – Nohelia – where she got her hair colored and cut and I got a haircut for a total of 52mil.  I understood my haircut cost 12mil – less than $6.

We walked through the park that is under construction and one end of it seems to be finished.  There is a nice common ceiling with fluorescent lights covering the sidewalk outside the stores and a paved walkway between it and the park.

We had lunch once again at Carbón de Leña for 27mil.  I had the hamburger combo which included fries and Teresa once again had 2 portions of their breaded fish.

We stopped at a Gana store and added 10mil to Laura’s cell phone so she can call us if necessary.

We stopped at a paper store where Teresa made a copy of something.

We passed a billiard parlor and I noticed chess players in the back.  I went in and saw at least a dozen boards with 5 games going on.  A man asked me if I wanted to play and I said later.

We took a taxi to the highway where we caught a bus to Caldas.

We stopped at the home and electronics store where Teresa gave the copy she made to a lady there.

Walking across one street there was a stopped van in the left lane and a stopped pickup truck in the right lane with just enough room for us, or a motorcycle, to squeeze through.  There was a motorcycle stopped waiting for us and as I followed Teresa across the street he ran into my heel.  No pain, just a scuffed shoe, but I turned around and gave him a dirty look.
I asked her if we are going to stop at Merkepaisa to buy arepas and butter and I understood she wanted to first visit her friend who is laid up at home.  We walked about a dozen blocks and stopped at a house where her friend was lying in an easy chair.  I understand she has a hip problem and can’t get around the hills of Caldas. Her 16 year old poodle was in the chair next to her and didn’t move for about 10 minutes.

When we left, Teresa said her friend will be alone for New Years Eve and wanted to spend the day, or is it night, with her.

We left there and walked about 5 blocks to the bus stop.  She went upstairs and picked up the electric bill of 81,412 which must be paid by January 5th without encurring an extra charge.

We waited another 20 minutes for a Caldas bus with Salinas in the window.  On our way to the finca I asked Teresa if she has the arepas and butter and she had a stricken look on her face.  She said we can leave early tomorrow and pick it up in Caldas.  I kiddingly told her she can leave very early tomorrow so I can have an arepa with butter for my breakfast when I get up.
For the past week I’ve seen these homemade “dummies” for sale on the side of the road.  Teresa explained to me that they are full of firecrackers.  It must be a Colombian New Years tradition.

As we were approaching the neighbor’s house Teresa said something that alerted the killer dogs that we were there.  The other dog kept his distance but the doberman challenged us again.  The Dog Repeller doesn’t seem to faze him at all.  We got past him and when we were greeted by peluche I put the Dog Repeller and pepper spray back in my fanny pack.  A few seconds later one of the Terriers charged past us as the doberman was getting close.  Once again it was a back and forth battle depending on whether a Terrier was alone or had reinforcements.

We took a nap from 6 to 6:30.

I got emails from MBE that my document and package are available for pickup in Medellin.

Teresa talked to her friend Ana who invited us to her finca in Sopetran for the weekend.  I said that is fine.  I understand that is where Laura is now.

We started watching the movie Croupier which I found by browsing Netflix but Teresa couldn’t keep her eyes open and went to bed at 9:45.

I took my sleeping pill at 9pm and we went to bed at 10pm.

T-shirt of the day: I give good lip service.

No comments:

Post a Comment