Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

I didn’t get up until almost 9am.  Teresa sent me to the local 7-eleven (actually just a nearby mom & pop store) for 2 bags of milk.  While waiting for my order I saw something was going on on their TV.

Back at the apt Teresa said something about a plane crash.  I turned on the TV and saw there was a plane crash in Colombia.  It actually was the lead news story on the Today show.  What I know/remember:  A plane with Brazilian soccer players were flying to Medellin to play against Atletico Nacional.  Everyone on board except 2 players, a journalist and a stewardess were killed when it slammed into a mountain outside the international airport in Rionegro.  The plane had circled the airport twice.  The last transmission from the plane was at 9:54 and they confirmed the plane had crashed at 11pm. 

Every morning I receive an electronic newspaper called The Skimm.  This is where I get an idea of the day’s news prior to watching the Today show.  I posted the short article I received about the plane crash that I received from The Skimm.

Laura stopped at a local bakery and picked up a cake to take with us. 

Did I mention that Dario called Monday morning to cancel our weekly game for Wednesday?

We left the apt at noon and took a taxi to her friend’s house near Avenida Ochenta by the stadium.  They were treating us to lunch.  They first served a soup that tasted like butternut squash.  Then they opened a couple paper bags and took out what was obviously store bought – individual lasagna’s with a little salad and slice of garlic bread.  They served us juice and afterwards a flan.  Much later we each had a slice of the cake we brought.

We quickly caught a taxi back to the apt.  At one point the driver had to slam on his breaks and Teresa said something to him.  I had been reading my Nook in the heavy traffic as I knew it would take a while to get back.  I told Teresa not to look and then said in Spanish “Don’t worry, he’s a professional”.  The driver apparently got a kick out of that.

I finished Bill O’Reilly’s Killing Patton and downloaded Frank Brady’s Endgame.

We were back at the apt by 7:30.

I got a reply to my email and was able to order my daughter’s present but I’m not sure if it will arrive before her birthday next week.

I practiced an hour on Chess Magnet School and was promoted to Defender.


T-shirt of the day: All day.

No comments:

Post a Comment