Thursday, November 17, 2016

Wednesday, November 16th, 2016

At the health club I weighed in at 88 ¼ kilos.  I found Alan there.  He had switched from another health club that had recently raised their prices.  I told him I would give him my telephone number next time I saw him.

I left the apt at 1pm and only had to wait 5 minutes for a bus.  When I got on I handed the driver 2 2mil notes folded over and asked for an integrado ticket (bus & metro) that costs 2,500 pesos.  He gave me 200 pesos in change like I had asked for a regular ticket that costs 1,800 pesos.  When I was sure he wasn’t just slow in giving me the ticket I asked him for it and in my best (poor) Spanish explained that I gave him 4,000 pesos.  I guess he checked and found 2 bills folded together and he finally gave me the ticket and 1,500 pesos in change.  I gave him a 500 pesos coin but by the time we got to the station I realized I should have given him the 200 peso coin not the 500 peso.  I handed him the 200 peso coin and asked for the 500 pesos, which he did, and then we were even.

Getting on the metro train ahead of me was a mother and her 3-year old or so daughter.  She seemed to stumble at the entrance and I lifted her up a little ahead of me into the car.  The girl said “mama, …” and then the mother took her off the train and that’s when I noticed she was missing a shoe.  Somehow her shoe came off and fell in the small 4-inch space between the train and the platform.

On the train I saw ominous dark clouds but I arrived at Dario’s store by 1:45 before it started raining.  I lost the first game playing Black and then I asked to use the restroom.  I knew where it was and was happy to see it had a sliding bolt lock but I couldn’t see a button anywhere to turn on the light. I looked up and saw a light bulb and I pressed one switch I saw but nothing happened.  I was also glad to see that they had toilet paper.  After I had finished my business my eyes had become more used to the light and then I noticed the toilet seat that I had neglected to use.  Lol.

I won the 2nd game with the White pieces although I was down a bishop but he grabbed a pawn he shouldn’t have and I soon had a pawn a step away from queening that he couldn’t stop and he resigned.

He asked me if I could come to his building instead of the store in December and I said no problem.

As I left the store I saw dark clouds but still no rain.  I got a seat on the train right away.  On one of the next stops a Colombian woman got on with an 8-10 year old girl with blond hair and blue eyes but all I heard from them was Spanish.

On the bus from the metro station I saw a man standing like a statue on a box looking like he was made of copper.

I was back at the apt by 4:45.  At 5:10, just as we were about to leave for the movie at El Tesoro, Teresa received a call from the man who she wanted to get an estimate from for new seat cushions for the couch and chairs.  He was downstairs.  I told her you’ve got 15 minutes but he left 10 minutes later.

We walked to the main street where we quickly caught a taxi.  As I got in I heard her tell him we’re going to Oviedo.  I’m glad I caught that because I corrected her to El Tesoro.  We were in bumper to bumper traffic and the driver said this isn’t a good time to be going anywhere with the heavy traffic and I took the opportunity to tell her that’s why I like to see movies in the afternoon.  But soon the driver turned uphill, traffic thinned and we arrived at the mall by 5:40.

I bought 2 tickets for the 6:10 showing of The Arrival for 15,200 pesos (about $5) then we bought a large popcorn, 2 large sodas, a hot dog and bag of snacks for 41,400 (about $14).  When I looked at my change I saw something was not right.  Upon closer inspection I found that Colombia has issued a new 20mil bill – this one is more orangish than bluish.

The theatre was busy but not filled; another reason I like to see movies in the afternoon is because the theater is usually close to empty.  We both liked the movie and were back at the apt by 9pm.


T-shirt of the day: GAP

No comments:

Post a Comment