Thursday, March 9, 2017

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Happy International Women’s Day!

As usual, I got up 2-3 times during the night to pee.  I was awakened at 7am by the leaf blowers and at 7:15 I gave up and decided to get up.  It was very overcast and the street was wet so we had some rain overnight.

Teresa was already up, her mother arrived 15 minutes later and they left by 7:45 for Mayorista.

I received the following email from Jaime Colorado, translated using google:
In 1969 I stood out as a youth chess player and in 1970 I won a departmental youth chess tournament, at that time I was first class, then I participated in a national university tournament in 1971, then in 1972, in 74 and I went away for the study Of ZOOTENIA in my alma mater UNIVERSITY OF ANTIOQUIA, FINISHING THE CAREER in 1978 gave me cancer of Hodhking or lymphoma, then to disciparme I returned to play chess in Envigado for during the 3 years of treatment with chemotherapy and I graduated in 1981, I worked as Zootecnista With the State 10 years and I did not return to play chess in competitive tournaments.

Only now I'm reappearing with you TERRY ANDRESEN !!!!!!

For this topic I was met in Envigado where I lived from 1959 until 2013, a lifetime! I am 65 years old until June 30 will be 66, older adult.

There is part of my Biography.

As you can see, misspellings make it very difficult for google translate to do its job.  Maybe someone better at Spanish can interpret some of the untranslated words from above.  (For example, I’m pretty sure “Hodhking” is “Hodgkins”.)
At 8:45 I noticed it was raining lightly.  (It continued to rain lightly for the rest of the day.)
I won’t have time to get to the gym today so I did a few arm and shoulder exercises with my dumbbell.

Laura and I left the apt at 9:35.  We quickly caught a taxi and he dropped us off near the Aguacatala station for 7mil.

Dr. Andres Felipe del Valle, the oral surgeon at Carrera 48 #12Sur-148 Torre 2 Cons. 106 Cell phones: 314 1871 & 314 2231, spoke good English.  He started the procedure just after 10am and he allowed me to sit in on the extractions.  Of course, first he numbed all 4 of her molars.  Then, one by one, he pulled them.  I thought he would use a tool like a pliers but he actually pried them out.  He then put a couple stitches in each locaton.  Laura paid him 720,000 pesos for the procedure.  We quickly caught a taxi back to the apt for 6,000 pesos. 

I dropped Laura off at the apt and I walked to the nearest pharmacy where I bought 20 Amoxicillin, Meloxicam, and Aprix-F tablets.  Their purpose is to prevent infection, alleviate swelling, pain, and prevent dizziness.  The total for all of them came to 69,000 pesos.  I made a stop at the corner store and bought her 5 popsicles.
I took my large umbrella, left the apt at noon and walked down to the orange juice stand where I talked to Herman for a few minutes.  I understand he was about to take his midday break.  He didn’t introduce the woman who was relieving him so I guess it wasn’t his wife.
I was at the 3rd floor food court in Aventura mall by 12:50.  I ordered a Frischuleta and Pepsi from Frisby for 20,900 pesos (about $7.50).  My order didn’t come up until 30 minutes later but I still had time to finish my food and get to Dario’s store by 2pm.
He got to start with the White pieces and I made a mistake and his whole army came raining down on me.  I was just trying to hold out for a miracle.  (At one point I noticed my clocking was moving on my side but his wasn’t moving on his side.)  I made a queen move, attacking his rook, where he would have the opportunity to trade queens.  Instead he made another move that was a blunder and after he removed his hand he saw his mistake and tried to take it back indicating that he hadn’t decided which square to move it to.  I didn’t let him get away with it, he lost his queen, and he resigned and said he didn’t want to play anymore.  Poor sport!  He did say we would play again next week.  (Later I saw that I probably had a forced mate.  The only problem was that it was his turn and my friend Ruben showed me that I have to give up my queen to avoid him mating me and then he would have the advantage for the win.)
I made a pit stop in the mall and chose the wrong stall but luckily I had my little package of TP with me.

At the station the first train that came through didn’t have the sign lit in front indicating which one it was so I skipped it.  The next train was a local so I took it.  When I got off the bus at Parque Envigado I walked through the park but saw only one chess game in progress.

Walking past Exito I saw they were selling flowers so I bought a multicolor bunch of daisies for Teresa for 15,000 pesos (about $5).
I stopped at the corner store and bought 2 bags of milk, a bottle of Coke and 4 more popsicles for Laura.

Back at the apt I looked more closely at my chess clock and discovered that his side needed winding so maybe I don’t need a new clock after all.

I just checked and I see that the US turns their clocks ahead this Sunday morning.  After that I’ll be able to watch the Today show beginning at 9am and then hit the gym earlier.

Tomorrow I plan to go to an office near Alpujarra station to complete my Encicla registration.  Then I’ll continue on to El Viejo y El Pancake for lunch and then try to rent a bicycle at Estacion Estadio to ride to the chess league office to see if there are any upcoming tournaments.

Finishing Aron Nimzowitsch’s My System, I skimmed the articles and skipped the games and went right to the introduction for his next book Chess Praxis.


T-shirt of the day: I see no good reason to act my age.

No comments:

Post a Comment