Sunday, June 10, 2018

Saturday, June 9, 2018


Last night I went to bed at 11pm and fell asleep relatively quickly.  I woke up first about 2:30 and a couple times after that.  I woke up at 5:30 and got up at 6:30, had breakfast and went right back to bed, finally waking up at 9am.

After my shower, I dressed in shorts and t-shirt and walked over to the copy center where I had a couple of chess pages printed out.  I found a bus waiting for me downtown but it waited about 10 minutes before leaving and then traffic was heavy and we spent a lot of time sitting and baking in the hot sun.

At Envios Market I picked up the 5 bottles of Vitamin E oil that Teresa asked me to order for her.  It only cost me another 3,600 pesos in delivery fees.

While there I met an older gringo named James and a young gringa named Diane.  He is retired here in Laureles from being an emergency room physician in Connecticut.  Diane was born in the US to Colombian parents and has moved back to Medellin.  I mentioned to Dr. James about my recent cold and he wrote out some prescriptions on the spot.  We also exchanged “business cards”.

Back at the apt I took a nap for an hour and then Laura and I left for lunch.  She agreed to try Crunch y BBQ with me today.  The address I had turned out not to be correct.  I realized that as we were approaching Margarita’s house.  On our way back, Laura borrowed my cellphone and found the correct address plus directions to get there from where we were.  I don’t know how she does that without wifi and she won’t show me.  We finally arrived at the restaurant (it’s a block from Chuck’s house at Carrera 41 #39 Sur 33) and it had a very nice open patio in back.  I ordered 6 chicken wings and Laura ordered ½ rack of ribs and we shared our orders and still had a little to take home to Teresa.  There was a family there and 5 of the 7 were wearing Atletico Nacional jerseys so I guess they have a match today or tonight.  The total bill came to 60,500 pesos or about $21.

Laura took the leftovers back to the apt and I walked over to the pharmacy.  They had little trouble with the first 2 items on the list but spent about 5 minutes looking online trying to figure out the 3rd item.  It all cost me 60,700 pesos and most of the cost was for the nasal spray.

I stopped and added 20mil to my cell phone.  When I got back to the apt Laura was waiting outside because she hadn’t taken her keys with her.

The Colombian Peso closed for the week at 2,858 to the US Dollar.

Teresa returned to the apt at 7pm.  She told me she’s tired so she’s not going back to the finca tomorrow or Monday.

About 7:30 I heard a loud commotion; I switched TV channels and Atletico Nacional almost gave up a goal to Tolima.  Every time I heard the commotion again I changed channels – Tolima built up a 1-0 lead and then AN came back and tied.  Just before the end of the 90 minute regulation + extra 4 minutes, Tolima scored the winning goal. 

After the game I hadn’t changed the channel and I was wondering why the refs were still on the field.  Best I can figure out this was the last match of the season and Tolima tied A/N for best record.  They then had a shootout which Tolima won 4-2.  The last A/N player kicked the ball so softly the goalie had time to block it with his foot.  I hope they don’t end up assassinating him.

I emailed Dr. James asking for instructions on taking the cold medications he recommended for me but I never heard from him.
Another day without rain.

T-shirt of the day: I eat bitches like you for breakfast.

Well, after this offensive t-shirt I’ve decided to switch over to something a little different for awhile.  Anticipation…!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry, if you're gonna switch over to something other than T-shirt sayings how about maybe answering various of the long-standing questions of the day, such as:

    How can you tell when sour cream goes bad?

    Well, just a thought, anyway...

    Cheers!
    ==

    ReplyDelete