Friday, June 22, 2018

Thursday, June 21, 2018


Last night I got up once about 2:30, woke up at 6:30 and got up at 7am.

I left the apt at 7:45, picked up a free Adn newspaper and had breakfast at Carbon de Leña. 

When I returned to the apt Laura informed me that we no longer have wifi.  I watched the end of the Denmark vs Australia (1-1) soccer match, watched the first hour of the Today show and then retired for a nap.

At 10:15 there was a knock at the door.  (Due to my lack of Spanish I never answer the door or the buzzer from downstairs.)  It was a young lady with Dane on her hat representing the national census.  Julieta was here about 10 minutes asking various questions.  About me she wanted to know my name, my birthdate, how long I’ve been living in Medelin, and that Teresa and I are together as Union Libre.  (She informed us that everyone in the neighborhood is without wifi.)  I understand they do this every 10 years.  As she left she gave me a receipt and put a “censused” sticker on our outside door frame.

Laura and I had lunch at La Casita Parilla for 24mil.

She went to meet with friends and I added 20mil to my cell phone and then caught a bus to Vizcaya.  I arrived at the box office just as the movie – Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom was starting.  I added 50mil to my Cine Colombia card and bought an opening night 3D preferred seating ticket for 10,000 pesos.  I also bought a small popcorn and medium soda.  I believe I now have 17 total ticket purchases.

There were probably about 2-3 dozen people in the theater.  The movie was good with lots of action and may be a setup for a sequel.

I walked down the hill and quickly caught a Sabaneta bus.  I got a seat and it moved pretty well through the Gold Mile and I was back at the apt 40 minutes later.  While still on the bus I bought 2 small cookies and a 50 Bolivares (Venezuelan) note from a man on the bus for 2,000 pesos.  With the inflation they are experiencing it’s probably close to worthless.  (And you think the US has immigration problems.)

Back at the apt Laura showed me that for some reason my phone number has changed.  I can receive Whatsapp messages but any calls to me go to some voice mail.  I have no idea how that happened.

Teresa returned at 7pm and informed me that they’re getting close to finishing the required work on the finca but she’s tired so she’s taking tomorrow off.

If your dictionary told the truth: Cell phone (n.) A device used for looking less alone while in public places by yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment