Sunday, August 18, 2013

Sunday, August 18th, 2013

I forgot to mention it last night but Beatriz had a plastic strip and she pulled it a special way and it turned into a bow.  She pulled it again and it turned back into the strip.  Neat.

I went to bed at 11pm, up once during the night, woke up 6am, finally got up at 7am.  At 8:30 on my way to breakfast I saw those 2 pretty ladies with a guy waiting on the corner with their bibles.  The one lady said “hello” in English and I replied “hello, how are you?” but she didn’t say anything more.  I had to stop at the ATM for a little additional cash and I saw the Brinks truck outside the entrance and a guy standing guard at the ready with a shotgun and another guy sitting on the floor refilling one of the machines.

Breakfast was at the hotel again.  They had that Torta Chocolo again but it tasted a little different this time.

At LM (Laureles Mall) I studied my chess book some more.  About 1pm it poured for about 45 minutes. 

I picked up a little flyer advertising a food festival not far from the mall.  On the back is a detailed map of the surrounding streets, mainly east of the mall.  Now it’s easy to see the route I took, and should have taken, to get to McDonald’s and Piccolo’s.  You look to the right side of the map and you can see how confusing it can be with all the diagonal and circular streets.



The problem with being alone at the mall is when I need to use the restroom I have to pack up everything and take it with me then unpack it again when I return.  BTW, they don’t have toilet paper in the stalls there but at least they have seats (lol) and there is a machine where they sell little packages of toilet paper for 200 pesos (about 10 cents).  I bought one and keep it in my fanny pack for emergencies.

As I said it rained heavily at 1pm and people in seats next to the overhang get a little wet because of the wind.  I’m the next row in and I could occasionally feel a little of the rain.  It finally slowed down but didn’t stop until 1:45.  I’m glad it did because I didn’t bring my umbrella today. When I leave after it’s rained I feel a little foolish in my shorts and sandals when it feels so cool outside but in the morning when I leave I wish I knew whether it was going to rain or not as it makes a big difference as to how warm or cool it’s going to be in the afternoon.

One boy about 2 years old was having a tantrum and luckily the mother had finished her lunch and removed him right away.  A few minutes later another boy about the same age also had a tantrum and the mother led him to the wall and made him stand there alone for about 2 minutes.  That quieted him pretty quickly.

Lunch was a Hamburger Combo #3 at Gordog’s.  Since I had my iPad with me I took pictures of their menu so you can see it.  That will also allow me to translate it so I’ll have a better idea of everything they offer.







On the way back to the apartment I stopped and bought a bag of milk and small coke at the corner store.  As I was leaving I saw Bob sitting there with a group of about 10 locals.  I didn’t see him when I was going in as his back was to me.  He said the paperwork for his Visa is in Bogota and he’s waiting on it to get here before he rents a room that Jhon found for him for $250 a month.  I understand it’s just a private bedroom with public kitchen and bathroom in someone’s home.

The next Chicago Bears game is Friday night at 9pm on NFL Network.  I’m not sure I’m going to be able to see that game.  I think that’s too late on a Friday night to be venturing out.  Maybe I can catch it at home on my laptop.

At 3:15, just after I got back to my apartment, it poured again for about 10 minutes.

Dinner was just a bowl of cereal with popcorn and a little coke for dessert while I watched 60 Minutes and then a little of the Indianapolis Colts vs New York Giants game.

No comments:

Post a Comment