Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sunday, August 25th, 2013



Last night, at 5:15pm it was not only getting darker it was getting cooler.

For dinner I had a bowl of cereal and one of the apples.  The label on it says Dole and Chile.

I got another notice of the impending failure of the battery (it turns out there is only one AA) so I changed it.

I don’t know where those dogs across the street have been for the last week or so, but they are back to their continuous barking.

I decided to wear a long sleeved shirt for a change and I put on a dark pair of pants but all I have is light colored deck shoes to go with them.

Beatriz was supposed to be here at 7:30 so at 7:40 I went downstairs to wait for her outside.  I called her and left a message, I think, on her recorder.  I don’t speak the language, remember.  After about 5 minutes I started slowly walking down towards her house.  After sitting outside for only a minute she came out.  Her hair looked nice.  (Before, it was two toned not counting the gray showing at the base by her head so I had given her something like 25mil to have it done.)  We caught a taxi at Avenida 80 and in 30 minutes we were at El Tesoro which is located high up in the hills on the southeast side of town.  It cost about 15mil ($7.89) and there weren’t any traffic jams on the route the driver chose.  

Next we had to find the movie theatre.  We walked towards a large Cinemark sign but when we got there it was just a bar where we could see the sign outside.  After finally finding a security guard that we could ask for directions we took an escalator and then a short walk to another side of the mall to the theater.  There were 3 different lines, 1 main one with switch backs and 2 narrower ones on each side.  Of course we got into the wrong one, on one of the sides and a few minutes later Beatriz talked to someone and we moved to the main one.  It was maybe a 15 minute wait to get our tickets.  They cost 16mil each, 9mil more, total, than Los Molinos.   Now it’s 8:30 and there weren’t any lines at the concession counter.  I guess Beatriz didn’t have any dinner because she had a hot dog and a small Pepsi for 10,700 ($5.63). 

Still having some time to kill we walked around the mall a little bit.  There is sort of a walkway separating two different parts of the mall that is rather open and has a beautiful view down to the city lights of Medellin.  

With about 20 minutes left before the scheduled movie start we bought our popcorn and soda.  We noticed their large popcorn was smaller than a medium popcorn at Los Molinos and I think overall everything was more expensive.  We got a large popcorn for a change and I think it all cost a little over 10mil.  

There were a few coming attractions, but thankfully we were spared the usual short about Colombian arts & crafts.  The nearly 2 hour movie, Red 2, was pretty entertaining with a lot of action, some humor with an absurd plot and special effects.  Best were all the stars: Bruce Willis, John Malkovich, Mary Louise-Parker, Helen Mirren, Anthony Hopkins, and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

I went to bed at 12:30, got up twice during the night and finally woke up at almost 8am.

Breakfast was a small bowl of cereal with leftover milk.

I spent the morning at LM studying my chess book.  Lunch was a FrisBurrito, cole slaw and a medium Pepsi for 14,400 ($7.58).  The cute girl that works there questioned why I was always eating hamburgers from Gordog’s when Frisby sold them.  But what Frisby sells is a chicken sandwich not a hamburger.  

It started getting crowded at 1:30 so I packed up and left.  I stopped at the corner store and had a cookies & cream Polet ice cream bar for 3mil ($1.58) and just relaxed for a while and listened to their piped in music.  I left about 2:30, went home, changed clothes and went back with my Nook.  I had a coke and a juice while reading my World War II book.  I’m on about page 600 of 900 pages.  As I’m sitting there I’m trying to decide: do I want to buy milk and just have a bowl of cereal back at the apartment or should I go to LM and have a bowl of beans with a glass of juice.  About 5pm I finally decided to do the latter.

I had the Frijoles (beans) and a mango juice from El Comedor de Chava.  After placing my order I sat down at the first available table and found I was sitting next to a couple playing chess on one of those wooden portable sets with the strange shapes.  I checked it out every once in a while and they seemed to be pretty equal.  After I finished eating I stood over them watching them finish a game.

The man then asked me, in perfect English, if I would like to play.  His name is Jimmy and he worked in Boston for 15 years.  I had black and I made a mistake and he trapped my queen but a little later he made a mistake and I checkmated him.  I then played white against his wife and was able to play my favorite opening but she broke through to my king and I had to resign.

I told Jimmy I am here almost every afternoon, usually at the other end of the floor but I usually leave at 1:30 on Sundays because of the crowd.  I’m sure I will see them again.

As I was leaving I ran into the guy from Frisby who speaks English.  He’s 20 years old and his name is Daniel.  We talked for about 15 minutes until the cute girl showed up.  Her name is Maryann and she is 19 years old.  She said she would like me to teach her English.  I told her I could teach her chess, but not English, but I have a friend who could.  It was almost 6:30 and Daniel’s break was over and he had to get back to work so we said goodbye and I headed back to the apartment.  By then it was quite cool and felt like it could rain although the sky was a little dark they didn’t look like rain clouds.

A week from today is the 1st of September – pay day for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment