Thursday, August 1, 2013

Thursday, August 1st, 2013



Happy 1st day of August everyone!

I forgot to mention yesterday that Beatriz and I walked through Exito as she wanted to buy me some clothes for my upcoming (in 2 months) birthday.  I told her I am very particular about my clothes and I showed her the beautiful long and short sleeved shirts I have that I almost never wear.  Generally I only wear t-shirts here – in the US I never wore t-shirts – didn’t even own any.  (When I visited here in June of 2012 Reina gave me a present of a pair of socks but they looked like something my father would have worn with a suit in the 1940s.  Not my style at all, I donated them to Goodwill.)  We walked through the men’s section and she helped me pick out a couple of nearly white t-shirts for 19,900 ($10.47) each that I told her I would buy the next day.  I also picked out a 20cm Universal saucepan (I think that’s what it’s called) for 31,900 ($16.79) and a 3.3Liter (14 cup) Rubbermaid container (with Easy Find Lids) large enough to hold a fruit salad or popcorn for 20,900 ($11).  The saucepan also advertised on the box (in Spanish) that it has:
·        Nonstick interior.
·        Heat-resistant accessories.
·        Exterior finish with metallic paint.
·        Tempered glass lid.

I went to bed at 11pm last night, got up once at 5am and took a couple Excedrin Migraine to clear my head, went back to bed and got up at 7:15.  After my shower I had breakfast at Bunuelo Express.  I discovered today I saved about 900 pesos (4900 total; $2.58) by ordering the eggs without ham or sausage.  I also skipped the bunuelos since I want to be hungry for lunch before walking to Dario’s apartment at 1:30.

At 9am, when I was relatively certain the laundry would be open, I walked across the street and dropped off my bedding and towels to be picked up Saturday at 10am for 15mil.  (It rained early this morning and it was still overcast so I brought my umbrella with me.)  I was in the process of removing my umbrella from my laundry bag when the lady said “Es el sombrilla para lluvia or para sol?” which means “Is the umbrella for the rain or for the sun?”  It took me a little while to translate that in my mind.  The ironic thing is “para sol” (for the sun) sounded like “parasol” to me (I always thought that was French) and what a parasol for but to shield yourself from the sun.   Lol.

I took some money out of my checking account and bought the things at Exito I picked out last night with Beatriz.  I also bought 3 Glade refills (Harmony scent) for 15,950 ($8.39) to try to hide those sewer smells.  So already I blew about $60 on things I need.
I checked my pension statements more closely and it appears Sears finally has my address correct here in Medellin.

Lunch was the Chicken Teriyaki special at Sarku’s for 9,900 pesos.  I then walked to Dario’s apartment in the usual 15 minutes.  I bought a cold 600ml bottle of water at the little store across the street for 2mil ($1) and then helped Dario carry tables and chairs to the balcony.  We played 3 games.  The first was the usual 30 minutes (on each clock) and I had black.  I had been studying the opening he had been using on me and I had a much better idea of how to thwart it.  This time I was the one who had both my bishops aimed at his king and I mated him on the 25th move.  (It’s interesting that sometimes he will do something strange like try to capture one of his own men.)
Another man there, Carlos wanted to play me so I took black and we played without a clock.  He had only been playing for 3 months so it wasn’t very difficult to defeat him.  Then Jorge (George) wanted to play me and he was a much bigger challenge.  Interestingly he spoke perfect English – why not, he’s a high school English teacher.  That was a good game but again I prevailed.  

Then Dario wanted to play me again but for only 15 minutes on each clock.  Usually the faster the game the worse I play.  The 2nd game I had white and I’ve figured out how to get him to play my favorite opening when I have white.  He made a mistake on the 22nd move – I allowed him to take one of my knights with a pawn and then I took his queen with my bishop forking both of his rooks and he resigned.  The 3rd game I had black again and I made a mistake in the order of moves and he got a lot of pressure on me early but I fought my way out of it and after trading down a lot of pieces to win a pawn I eventually won in the endgame.  He told me today was the first time (and the 2nd) that I had beaten him when he was playing the white pieces.  It was also the first time I’ve beaten him 3 games in one day.  

So I ended the day undefeated.  Yeah!

About 4:30pm I walked down the hill to Avenida 80 and caught the Circular 301 bus.  Not one of the usual ones I take but the bus driver told me he was going to Exito Laureles when I asked him.  I got nervous when he turned off Avenida 80 and headed east but he soon turned north again and I was able to get off on the east side of the Laureles Mall so that worked out better than I had imagined.

Dinner was the same as last night – one of the mini chicken shish kebabs.

Since today is the first of the month I had some extra things to do besides dropping off the laundry: I sent a check to my brother to cover this month’s rent, I used CC Cleaner to clean my hard drive, I backed up my laptop documents and pictures to a flash drive, and I backed up my iPad Notes to my email account.

Tomorrow should be another interesting day as Reina is going to be dropping off Angel for me to keep for the weekend.

There is an interesting series of posts to Colombia Expats titled Black Man and Family Moving to Columbia that has been going on for some days now.  I’m going to try to make it optional by separating it on my blog.  Those that may be interested in all the different comments (rants, insults, insights, etc.) can select it.  (Again I cleaned up some of the misspellings, etc.  I sometimes wonder if these people are really so illiterate or is it as they learn Spanish they forget English? Lol.)

No comments:

Post a Comment