Thursday, August 29, 2013

Thursday, August 29th, 2013



Beatriz called me last night to tell me she wasn’t going to be able to come over but she would be here tonight. 

I went to bed at 11pm, woke up at 4:40 and finally got up at 5:20.  I think I will need a nap this afternoon the only problem is I don’t have time for one.

The street was a little wet this morning so we must have had a little rain overnight.

While trying to find a cell phone number for Philly Steaks I found an interesting article entitled Medellin Women: Rules of the Game.  I’ll post it for you as a separate posting.  Again, it’s just one man’s opinion.  (Sorry, but the pictures of all the beautiful ladies didn't come out!)

I was at LM before 10am but Augusto never showed up.  I left at noon and had a hot dog, chips, and Pepsi at Dogger’s for 9,300.  For dessert I had a small vanilla cone dipped in chocolate from Mimo’s for 3,700.  It was pretty messy especially since I took it outside in the sun and heat.  I probably should have just gotten a vanilla cone from Burger King for 1,600 pesos.

I walked to Dario’s apartment building and we played one serious game of 30 minutes each.  He deviated from his usual opening a little bit but I was up a pawn until I got into time trouble and lost again in the endgame.  We then played a fast 10 minute game and I won that one.  I then played a couple of games with a beginner without difficulty.
One expat’s comment today: “Medellin is paradise for at least 50,000 gringos. Tell all your Gringo friends back in the US that Escobar is still alive so they all don't come here and raise all the prices!”

I tried calling Philly Steaks but I think I just got voicemail.  I decided to go anyway and they were open.  This time I had the Philly Steak Special which includes lettuce and tomato.  The total, including a Coke, came to about 17mil.  It was even tastier than the last time.  I took the other half home and gave it to Jhon who met me at the corner store.  Bob joined us a few minutes later.  He got his Pensionado Visa and should be getting his Cedula very soon.


I stayed about 90 minutes and then headed home.  Beatriz came by about 7:30 and we walked over to Exito.  I was unable to get money from an ATM.  I tried both of them and I’m not sure why it didn’t work but the man in front of me at one of them couldn’t get it to work either.  Maybe they were just out of money.  I was able to charge items to my debit card though.

The Chicago bears lost to the Cleveland Browns 18-16 in the 4th and final preseason game.

Today I received another security message from the US Embassy.  I’ll also put it as a separate posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment