Thursday, August 15, 2013

Thursday, August 15th, 2013



Beatriz never showed up last night.   :(
 
I went to bed at 10pm.  The only problem with going to bed that early is that:
I woke up at 5am and couldn’t get back to sleep.  I finally got up at 6:30 but my eyes still felt tired so after coffee and a bowl of cereal I took 2 more Excedrin Migraine and, as usual, felt better within the hour.

I logged onto Rosetta Stone and this time it took me to a more reasonable lesson – a review back in Level 1.  I forgot to mention that yesterday morning I had a Live Studio group session with a Spanish speaker and that made it obvious to me that I’m not progressing in my lessons as quickly as some other students so today I completed 4 lessons instead of the 1 or 2 a day I had been averaging.

The Chicago Bears 2nd preseason game is tonight at 7pm on ESPN.  I checked their schedule and I got excited when I saw there was an iPad app called WatchESPN.  I downloaded it to my iPad and only when I tried to watch something did it tell me it was only available for certain subscribers – like AT&T – none of which I have so I deleted it.  :(  I plan to go to Patrick’s Irish Pub to watch the game and I might try their fish & chips.

I left the apartment just after noon and stopped to talk to Jhon for awhile.  We decided we would go for our usual lunch tomorrow and visit the new place for breakfast on Saturday.

I had the chicken teriyaki at Sarku’s for 9,900 for lunch with a soft serve ice cream cone from Burger King for 1,600.  I decided to have a bigger lunch than usual since I probably won’t be having dinner until about 7:30 or so.

I then walked about 6 blocks south and 4 blocks west to Dario’s apartment building.  On the way some woman stopped me and rattle off something in Spanish and I did understand “Exito” so I simply pointed back the way I came and said “2 blocks” in Spanish and she seemed to be happy with the answer so I guess I did good.

Dario and I played 2 games.  In the first game I had black and I had studied his opening and I had a much better idea how to proceed.  This time I had pressure on him but I couldn’t capitalize on my advantage and I lost on time late in the middle game.  In the second game I had white and I got into my favorite opening and I didn’t play it exactly the way I wanted but I stalled his attack and the kingside and I mounted my own where he castled on the queenside and he resigned when I had a strong attack with great chances to either checkmate him or win a lot of material.

I left his apartment building about 4pm and decided to just walk due north and see where that took me in relation to my apartment.  What a shortcut that was - I’m only about 8 blocks away in a direct line.

5:45 so it’s time to get ready for the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment