Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sunday, August 11th, 2013

Last night we decided to see Now You See Me Tuesday night at 8:30pm at Los Molinos.  I think the main reason Beatriz chose Tuesday night is because I noticed that the movies are cheaper on Tuesday nights – at least at Premium Plaza C.C..  (I’ll probably save $2.  lol.)

I went to bed at 11:30, woke up only once during the night and got up at 6:30.

Breakfast was my usual buffet at the Hotel Golden Palermo.  Interestingly most people there appear to Colombian, perhaps in to see the Flower Festival.  I only saw one black guy.  I picked up a couple of pats of butter for popcorn tonight.

After breakfast I tried to find Bob at his hostel to see if he wanted to go to today’s parade.  I think he said he was staying in Sophie’s Hostel so I walked up the street from the corner store and turned south.  After a couple blocks I found a “whistle guy” and I asked him if he knew where it was.  I didn’t get any answer I understood but he pointed down the street at another corner store and said “English”.  I thanked him and walked down to the corner.  The guy at the corner told me it’s by the church – about 3 blocks back where I started.  I walked around the area but still didn’t see anything that looked like a hostel so I headed home.

I had a bowl of cereal about 3pm.


At 4pm I took a little nap.  I woke up and looked at my watch and for a second I thought “It’s 7am, and I didn’t wake up once during the night.”  Then I realized I’d misread my watch and it was 5pm and I’d only taken a 1 hour nap.  Lol.
About 7pm I bought a 400ml bottle of Coke for 1,200 (63 cents) at the corner store and made popcorn in my new saucepan using a recipe I found on the internet.  It was real tasty!

Re: Request for Maid Service in Bogota

ElinglesLoco: Pity, mine has just retired, or I could have given you her details.  She was first class, but one piece of advice.  It is tempting to choose the prettiest one, and have visions of some young chick chasing you round the apartment with a feather duster, but DON'T fall for it. I have heard many stories of this, but they always have a boyfriend who will empty your apartment at the first opportunity. Go for one who is older, not very attractive, and she will be grateful for the work.  Chances are she will be a lot more honest, reliable, and hard working than the aforementioned. :)

Soystar1: Here is a rule of thumb according to a Colombiana.  25mil pesos per day.  Includes the following services:  1. All day cleaning 7-4 or whatever.  If she finishes early and you are satisfied that's up to you.  2. Ironing, washing and folding of clothes.  3. Preparing lunch: you buy the food.  Mine makes Sancocho nice.  4. Windows and everything in the house will be included in the cleaning.  Be leery if they want to clean the apt or house alone and not you there.  You will come home and your tv will be gone.  I am always present or until I confide in them.  I test by leaving small amounts of change laying around and see if it disappears or stays.  No "friends" can accompany her in the cleaning of the home. My tip: ask them for a copy of their Cedula before they arrive.  Good luck!

Mawdsjeff: Excellent advice about the maid (or mujer de servicio).  We left one in the house for 2 days when we went to Bogota for a visa, and gave permission for the 15 year old daughter to stay with the mum.  They took the mickey and allowed the daughters boyfriend to stay as well AND some things were missing. We got shot of her straight away.  My mum did some cleaning when I was little, and I can remember 50 years later, how she was hurt and offended by a woman "testing" her with money left around.  I don't believe in catching people out by putting temptation in their reach!  My mum left, and hoped that the woman would get a dishonest cleaner to pay her back!!  That is the only bit of advice that I DON'T recommend.  I am not religious but remember this saying: "let him who is without sin cast the first stone!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment