Thursday, August 8, 2013

Thursday, August 8th, 2013



I went to bed at 9pm because I was so tired.  I woke up at 2am and really didn’t get back to sleep.  It really makes for a long night.  Lol.  I think I’ll probably be taking a nap at some point in time. It started pouring at 6am and while it has slowed down it still hasn’t stopped as of 9:15.  The weather forecast thru Tuesday predicts 60% chance of showers.  We’ve only had a little rain overnight the past few nights and nothing for weeks before that so I guess we’re due.

Breakfast was a bowl of cereal with leftover milk.

I was at Exito just after they opened this morning to do some much needed shopping.  I bought another large box of Fitness cereal, a kitchen towel, 2 cans of crème for strawberries, another book for recording chess games, a bag of pancake mix, a bottle of pancake syrup, and another 2 bars of bath soap for a total of 50,260 pesos ($26.45).

I called CitiBank to change my address from Reina’s house to my apartment and was told I have to write a letter, have it notarized at the US Embassy (which is in Bogota) and then send it to the CitiBank where I opened my account (in Glenview, IL).  Sigh!  I hope I remember to take care of this in December when I’m in Bogota renewing my Pensionado Visa and my Cedula.

10am and it finally stopped raining although it is still very overcast.
I thought it was cool enough today that I wore jeans, gym shoes with socks and a t-shirt and was fine all day.

Lunch was FriBurrito and small coke at Frisby.

Dario joined me about 2:30 and we played 2 games.  The first game I had white and he quickly got me out of my preferred opening.  I was pushing 2 of his pieces all over the board with my pawns until he sneaked his queen behind them on the 16th move with a check and picked up my bishop and I resigned.  In the second game he played his favorite opening and I thought I knew the best way to attack it but he kept me from castling my king to safety and overwhelmed it in the middle and I resigned on the 22nd move.  He’s not really better than me is he?

I stopped at the corner store and had 2 bottles of juice and talked to Bob for almost 2 hours.  I left with another bag of milk for my dinner which was a waffle.

Beatriz never showed up last night.  She probably had to take care of her kids or her mother.

REGARDING MEETING COLOMBIAN WOMEN
Geoff: The Colombian women like to speak to Gringos (OK I am English, but they call me that behind my back, so I don't care now).  You are someone special, they don't all want a passport out of you either. You can tell by the women that are too forward, if they are doing a scam.  Normally, they are wary, no kissing on 1st, 2nd or even 3rd dates for most of them! Just the cheek kiss, but they don't worry about "personal space" you can get right up to the people here, sit next to them in a queue! (You have to leave a space between you in England).  The girls will also hold your hand.  NOW - all you have to do is learn the language of love in Spanish.

ElinglesLoco: Don’t expect a new found girl friend to open up with all her personal info straight away, especially some of the higher class of girl, for they are so security conscious, and have been brought up to always have an eye open for their own safety.  You might be lucky to get a cell phone number, but don't expect to be taken back to their apartment on the first date.  The ones who are nice, have a good position, and are afraid of scams/extortion/etc, will keep you at a distance from their real personal info.  After a while, when they can trust you, they will open up completely, but they have to feel safe with you first.

No comments:

Post a Comment