Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wednesday, August 21st, 2013



Right after I posted last night’s blog entry (and the one for Monday that somehow got lost) I found another small lizard on the floor.  This one was the smallest yet – about an inch long.  It was really quick but I managed to corner it and get it into my hand and I took it downstairs and released it in the grass.

Beatriz never showed up last night.  

I went to bed at 11pm and woke up at 6:30 to a dove cooing somewhere outside me window.  I must have gotten some deep sleep because my eyes feel great.

When I first visited Medellin in June of 2012 I had, for a few days, a young interpreter named Katherine.  Today when I checked my email I was surprised to get a Linkedin invitation to join with a Katherine Orrego Jimenez.  I googled the name and found this au pair video dated October 4, 2012: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RclE0Hs-Yy4
It is the same Katherine.  I tried to respond to her Linkedin request but I had closed my previous account and when I tried to quickly reopen one the only choices were: Student, Employed, or Job Seeking.  Since I don’t fit any one of those (and their follow-up questions) I just replied to the original email – although I know that probably won’t work.

Lunch was a FrisBurrito at Frisby and a large Pepsi for 9,800 at 11:45 in LM.  Franklin was supposed to meet me to play chess at 1pm but he didn’t show up until after 3 and by then I was deep in a game with Dario.  I told Franklin I only had time today for this game but he stuck around anyway.  I also told him no more speed games of 5 or 10 minutes.  Even Dario realizes I need more time to find the good moves and he recommends we start playing 45 or 60 minute games.

After they all left and I was packing up, another man - Joseph (Juan) talked to me in heavily accented English.  He worked in New York for 5 years.  He wants to play me sometime.  I guess it’s going to be a case of whoever gets here first.  I don’t have a problem with that.

I stopped at their pharmacy and bought 2 more bottles of Freegen eye drops for 29,200 ($15.37) - only 300 pesos more than last time.  The eye drops apparently only come in packages of two.  I walked across the street and picked up my laundry for 15mil.

I invited Jhon to the corner store for a drink.  Bob was there so we joined him at his table.  He was celebrating receiving approval on his Pensionado Visa; now all he needs to do is get his Cedula and he should be good for a year.  He said because of his recent expenses, he only has 35mil a day to live on – he probably meant for the rest of the month.

While we were sitting there Jhon said there are 3 ladies sitting alone at the table behind me.  They weren’t particularly in my taste but we started talking to them.  They apparently didn’t like the fact Bob smokes and I told them I have a girlfriend but it was still nice to have someone to talk to – at least with Jhon translating.

Just after 5pm Jhon remembered he had a student coming at 5 and since I had my stuff locked up in his office I had to go too.  I was going to have to leave soon anyway to take care of some things before Beatriz comes over so the timing was perfect.  I said my goodbyes and when I was almost home I realized I hadn’t bought milk so I didn’t have anything to eat.  

I ate a package of crackers I found and a small package of cookies followed by my medicine 30 minutes later.

Beatriz came over rather late.  She had her poodle with her and we walked her around the block.  She dropped the poodle off and then came over to my apartment.  We had a number of things to discuss but first Beatriz told me she had an argument with her mother.  I won’t go into details except to say that there were some tears.  I invited her to see Red 2 with me late Saturday night and she accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment