Sunday, May 21, 2017

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Last night I went to bed at 11:30, quickly fell asleep and only got up twice during the night.  I was awakened by a car outside honking its horn like they are signaling someone to come out of an apartment.  I looked at my watch and it was 4am!  Groan!  It took me at least an hour to get back to sleep.

I finally woke/got up at 8am.

Well, Donald Trump has been president of the United States for 4 months now.  How’s that working out for you America?

After breakfast I took a nap from 10:30 to 12:10.

Jose sent me links to next month’s big tournament.  It’s called the “XII Campeonato Continental Absoluto de Ajedrez de las Americas” aka the Twelfth Continental Chess Championship of the Americas.  Not only is it a qualification tournament for the world championship (top 4 finishers advance) but it’s an opportunity for some players to earn their IM (International Master) and GM (Grandmaster) titles.
For those interested, this link is to the players, their rankings, etc. 
This link is for all the information about the event (in Spanish)
I see it’s from the 9th to the 19th of June and most rounds start at 4pm.  It will be an 11 round Swiss system tournament.  All games will be 90-minutes for the first 40 moves plus 30 minutes to finish, with an increase of 30 seconds per move from the start.

I’m badly in need of a new pair of tennis shoes but it looks like we’ll be staying in today.  Teresa just called Frisby and ordered lunch to be delivered.  Lunch cost 60,600 pesos ($21) or $7 per person.  That included breaded chicken breast, potatoes, salad, and soup for me.

The Colombian Peso closed at 2,879 to the US Dollar.

I was checking Colombia Reports newspaper when I found an article about the meeting between Presidents Trump and Santos.  I posted the article.  That prompted me to google “Who started the war on drugs?”  Only at first I accidentally put “crime” instead of “drugs”.  I decided to post the results from both queries.

We’re supposed to lose our electricity again tomorrow so we’re making alternate plans.  If the sun is shining we’ll go to Santafe de Antioquia.  Otherwise we’ll go shopping at Mayorca and do other things.

I finally remembered to email my old landlord, Margarita Montes, asking if she had an apartment available for Alex to rent.

It started raining at 10pm, was still raining when we went to bed at 11:30 so Teresa informed me we won’t be going to Santafe de Antioquia tomorrow because it will be too cold.


T-shirt of the day: 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy.

2 comments:

  1. Terry, I've enjoyed your blog since day one but your snide political comments are not appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol everyone is entitled to their opinion either side of the aisle

      Delete