Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Last night I fell asleep quickly, got up once during the middle of the night and was glad to find the water was back on inside and it had stopped raining outside.  I woke up at 6:15 and got up at 7am.

I left the apt at 9:20, walked across the street and waited for a bus.  About 10 minutes later Laura came out.  I asked where she was going and she replied MT’s apartment.  I told her I would walk her down.  On the way the bus passed us.  I said goodbye to Laura.  I thought I would buy an OJ at Herman’s stand but a young lady was working the booth instead of him so I skipped it.

I arrived at the Poblado station a couple minutes before 10am and Alex was already there.  We walked up Calle 10 to Parque Poblado then crossed the street to Mail Box Etc.  I introduced him first to Nobraska and a couple minutes later to Victoria.  He got his account settled and there was even a piece of mail for him from Social Security.

We stopped at a pharmacy and luckily the pharmacist spoke a little English.  Alex was looking for some special sleeping pills – Diazepam - that, in the States, he said only a psychiatrist can prescribe.  Interestingly, the pharmacist said we should go to Mental Care on the 2nd floor of Rio Sur mall.

We walked up to Oviedo mall and in Cava de Quesos I talked briefly in English with a Colombian man who travels several times a year to Miami.  He said he has already noticed the negative effect that Donald Trump has caused in Miami in regards to their tourism.  I saw a bottle of strawberry preserves without sugar but decided to wait so as not to have to carry it around with me all day.
We walked up the block and across the street to Santafe mall.  I stopped in iStore to ask about buying an iPhone and making monthly payments.  A Colombian man helped me with translation and I understood, similar to the US, I should go to a communications company like Claro to buy my phone with a cell plan.

We left and walked down a block to Rio Sur.  On the 2nd floor we found Mental Care.  The woman spoke a little English and after a number of phone calls she told Alex to come back in the afternoon and she would have a prescription for him.  Then he would have to take it to the pharmacy in the clinic on Calle 7.  I told him we’re going to be walking past there.  I understood it would only cost something like 10,000 pesos and there would be 30 of them scored so they could be cut in half.  It was unclear if he needed to repeat this process every 2 months.

We walked down Avenida Poblado and up Calle 7 where I pointed out the pharmacy clinic.  We continued up the hill to Flip Flop Sandwich Shop but found it closed.  Paula had told me they were only closed on Saturday and Monday.  You just can’t trust that place.  We walked a couple blocks to Parque Lleras where we had lunch at Ay Caramba.  We each had their Tuesday special – chicken breast for him and chicken fajitas for me – which included a lemonade for only 14,999 (about $5).

He’s meeting someone at 2:30 who is supposed to help him get medical insurance.  In our conversation I mentioned I had presented my medical records at the time of getting my medical insurance.  I understood he had left his in his hotel room so he left at 1:15 to go get them before his meeting.

I paid the bill and walked down to Avenida Poblado and back to Santafe mall.  I stopped at the Claro store but no one there spoke English.  I asked about buying an iPhone and was quoted a price of 2,800,000 pesos (about $950) for an iPhone 7.  I asked about a Samsung and she showed me a Samsung Galaxy Edge 7 for 2,400,000 pesos (about $800).  I’m sure they both include some type of Claro plan but they’re both too steep for me.  I guess they only offer the latest cell phone models.

I walked across the street to Oviedo where I bought a large bottle of strawberry jam for 18,000 pesos.  I quickly caught a bus and arrived back at the apt by 2:30.  Teresa wasn’t there – I must have just missed her – as she and her mother returned at 4:30 with the groceries.

I checked the MBE website and it appears my glassware is on its way to Medellin.  I think I should have it by early next week.
I received another email from the US Embassy.  Something about a taxi strike tomorrow in Bogota that might spread to other cities.  Sometimes these things can escalate so gringos should be careful.
I practiced for an hour on Chess Magnet School and was promoted to Marshall.

Tomorrow we’re supposed to lose our electricity from 9am to 2pm so I suggested to Teresa that after our early gym sessions we have lunch down the hill at the garage restaurant - Deli Hoy.

I completed a couple lessons on Rosetta Stone.


T-shirt of the day: I often worry about the safety of my children… especially when they roll their eyes and talk back.

No comments:

Post a Comment