Sunday, June 18, 2017

Saturday, June 17, 2017


I forgot to mention that it started to rain about 10:30 last night just before we went to bed.

At 9am my laptop, still on the dining room table, looked like it was getting a strong signal so I did a speed test with these results – 10.31Mbps download and 2.16 Mbps upload.  Now that’s more like it - but we’ll see if it continues.

So far it’s an overcast morning and about 9:15 it started raining lightly.

I left the apt at 10am with my large umbrella because it was drizzling.  I only had to wait about a minute for a bus to arrive but it was another 5-10 minutes before it left.  Traffic was unusually heavy perhaps because of the wet roads.  I got off across from MBE, picked up my Simichrome polish, paid an extra 11,500 pesos, opened the package and put the small tube in my tech bag.  Outside I walked to the closest bus stop and I only had to wait 5 minutes for an Envigado bus.  I got off at Oviedo where I bought a new extra soft toothbrush at Carulla for about 12,000 pesos.  I stopped at Starbucks where I had a delicious slice of carrot cake for 7,900 pesos and a small vanilla latte for 7,700 pesos.  (Both were Teresa’s idea.)  Later, walking past Cueva de Quesos I saw only a couple bags of bagels so I was pretty sure they hadn’t replenished their supply.  It was only a 5 minute wait for a bus and the traffic was again slow.  I was back at the apt by 12:15 and shortly thereafter it stopped raining and soon the sun came out.

The Colombian Peso closed at 2,971 to the US Dollar.

I cleaned my Norelco shaver using the Simichrome polish following the directions I found on YouTube.  Monday I’ll see if it helped at all.

Now I can see that Samuel Sevian’s next game is with the White pieces against a Paraguian player – Ramirez Delgado – who has a rating of 2613, again on 2nd board.  Samuel’s performance rating so far in this tournament is 2683.

At 2:15 I did a speed test with these results – 9.08Mbps download and 2.14 Mbps upload.  Pretty good!

Laura called Frisby and ordered chicken to be delivered.  It came before Teresa returned and I paid the driver 66,800 pesos.

I’m not sure what’s going on but I can’t see the chess games in action.  They were supposed to have started 15 minutes ago but I still see nothing.

At 4:30 the games finally showed up but without any moves.

Per yesterday’s free adn newspaper I see that Atletico Nacional is playing for another title against Cali at home this Sunday night at 7pm.  Also in the news is something about starting January of next year there will be simplified telephone and television contracts.

Finally at 5:15 they showed the games in progress.  Samuel has a slight positional advantage but he has an hour disadvantage on the clock against his opponent.

I made up another pitcher of iced tea from my “leftovers” and it seems to taste just as good as the “original”.

At 6pm I did a speed test with these results – 4.70Mbps download and 2.13 Mbps upload.  Hmmm.

Samuel made the time control and now he has a huge advantage.  Just have to reel him in.  Him opponent resigned on the 45th move.  I hope he’ll play the top player on board 1 tomorrow – we’ll see!

I connected the laptop to the TV and we watched Into the Forest (5.9) on Netflix.

Wow!  Samuel Sevian is tied with 3 others for 1st place with 8 points; not bad for a 16-year old!  But there are 10 others tied for 2nd with 7 ½ points so he could still lose out on one of the 6 places that qualifies for the world championship.  (And there are 11 others tied with 7 points.)  The last round is tomorrow at 10am.

If Samuel wins his last game he’s guaranteed to receive one of the 6 spots and could even receive the $5000 first prize.  If he loses tomorrow then I’m sure he'll miss out on one of the 6 spots.  If he draws, and some of the 14 will, then everything is up in the air and tie breaks will most likely come into play.


T-shirt of the day: Some days, it’s just not worth chewing through the restraints.

No comments:

Post a Comment