Sunday, June 4, 2017

Saturday, June 3, 2017

Last night I slept pretty well despite getting up several times during the night.

This morning the sky is sunny.

I had my usual scrambled eggs and an arepa with coffee for breakfast and Teresa just had a soft boiled egg.

I did a speed test at 8:30 from my computer room and only got 0.86Mbps download and 1.30 Mbps upload.  Yikes!

Teresa left for a nail appointment at 9:10 and I left a couple minutes later.  I stopped at Citibank but again the ATM didn’t work for me so I stopped at Bancolombia where I withdrew some cash.

I stopped at Gana and added 20,000 pesos to my cell phone.  I repeated the number that I saw on the screen in English and the lady said something about I was speaking too fast.  I told her I have the same problem with Spanish.  I added 50,000 pesos to Teresa’s cell phone and this time I repeated the number very slowly digit by digit and we both laughed.

At Todo Drogas I bought my medicine for the month.  This time I charged it and there was no extra 3.5% charge.

At the corner outside Exito a young lady was handing out free adn newspapers. 

I stopped at El Pastelito across from where Teresa was having her nails done.  I ordered a café con leche but it took a second order and a total of 20 minutes for it to arrive.  I skimmed through the newspaper (pretty quickly, because there isn’t a lot I understand) but I did see an article entitled The World Rebels Against D. Trump #Total Loser.  Other articles were about the 50th anniversary of The Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band album, the Champions League final match today between Juventus and Real Madrid, and Atletico Nacional playing Jaguares tonight at 8:15 in Medellin. 

But the most interesting was an article on the next to last page that caught my attention.  With my limited Spanish I understood that a 2-story Nutella (chocolate & hazelnut) retail store (the only one in the world) has opened a few blocks from Millenium Park in Chicago.  Nutella Café offers toasted Italian sandwiches, soups and salads.  I didn’t realize that Nutella was so popular in the US.

Teresa joined me about 11am and she had a chicken breast plate with salad and a bottle of water.  She left the salad for me to finish.  I’ll have my lunch somewhere nearby while she’s getting her massage.

I did a speed test at noon from my computer room and got 1.80Mbps download and 0.80 Mbps upload.  Not much better.

MT arrived at noon as I understand she’s getting massages at the same place as Teresa.  We left the apt right away and immediately caught a taxi across the street.

At Stella Duran I told Teresa I was going for lunch and I would meet her after her massage at the bakery across the street.  I walked a couple blocks and ended up eating at El Carriel de La Hamburguesa.  I ordered their cheeseburger which was oozing with cheese and a Coke for 11,800 (about $4.25).

I walked back to the bakery and they had the Juventus vs Real Madrid game on.  I ordered a small Coke and started reading my Nook book.  Just before the match started the TV went blank and all I saw after that was “Verify cable signal”. 

I finished Garry Kasparov’s Deep Thinking and then downloaded John Otis’ Law of the Jungle: The Hunt for Colombian Guerrillas, American Hostages, and Buried Treasure, a book that Alex recommended.

When the ladies returned they told me they wanted to go shopping in Oviedo.  I told them I don’t have my debit card nor a lot of cash but they were okay with that.

On our way to the mall we saw a motorcycle, driven by a young lady, with a sidecar filled with what looked like purchases for the home.

We stopped in Starbucks and the ladies had a yogurt with seasonal fruit and I had a vanilla latte.  The young lady wrote on my cup in Spanish “what a marvelous name you have” and “nice day”.

The ladies left to go shopping and I read my Nook.  I think there was a young gringo sitting next to me with a laptop but we didn’t communicate with each other.

The ladies came back about 90 minutes later and we quickly caught a taxi back to the apt.

I made a glass of iced tea.  Stan, one of my readers, is right.  It’s difficult to get sugar to dissolve in cold tea.  He suggests I make up a separate mixture with hot water and sugar and store that in the fridge for mixing with my tea.  I’m going to have to think about that.

I did a speed test at 5pm from my computer room and got 0.59Mbps download and 0.70 Mbps upload.  Yikes again!

At 5:30 Teresa surprised me by asking to go back to Pizza Gourmet (Calle 38Sur & Carrera 35) in Envigado.  Teresa, MT, and I left at 5:45, arrived there and we each placed our order.  We walked across the street to El Trebejo to look for a study desk for Laura.  At first I didn’t see the chess table I had seen before but it had just been moved to a different room.  We didn’t find a desk with drawers but I think Teresa said they should have one soon.

Back at the restaurant we each enjoyed 2 slices of pizza and a Te Hatsu for 66,000 pesos (about $23).  Teresa informed me that MT would pay next time.  Sounds good to me.

The Colombian Peso closed at 2,916 to the US Dollar.

I did a speed test at 9pm from my computer room and got 0.69Mbps download and 1.69 Mbps upload.  That will never do.  Maybe I will get better results when I move my laptop to the dining room table.  We’ll see.


T-shirt of the day: Silence is golden.  Duct Tape is silver.

1 comment:

  1. Terry,

    That simple syrup recipe I gave you is quick and easy to make. Actually it is what all bartenders use to mix into their sweet bar cocktails.

    Just store it in glass. It seems to last longer that way. I use an old tartar sauce bottle here. It has a wide mouth and a metal screw-on top which are both easy to wash and the wide mouth allows for easy scrubbing of the inside of the bottle.

    If you're still not sure about simple syrup (it's only sugar & water), then just make up a small amount to try at first and then if you don't like it nothing very much was wasted.

    Lemme noe how it turns out.

    Cheers!

    Paul M.
    ==

    ReplyDelete