Thursday, September 14, 2017

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Last night I took 2 sleeping pills and went to bed at 10:15.  I woke up once early (2am?) and put in my ear plugs.  I woke up at 4:50am, Teresa asked me what time it was and I told her almost 5am and she got up.  I got up at 5:20 feeling pretty refreshed.  Is it because of the biking?  Is it because I put in ear plugs?  Figuring out how to sleep through the night is obviously still a work in progress.

After a breakfast of cereal and sliced banana I decided to lie down for a few minutes intending to get up at 9am to watch the first 15-20 minutes of the Today show.  The next time I looked at my watch it was 9:20.  Drat! 

I got up, dressed and headed to the gym.  At one point I went to the triceps press machine and told a young lady (early 20-something) there “next”.  She got up and I asked her if she was finished.  She started talking to me in English and we shared the machine for awhile.  I learned her name is Paula, she studied English in school in Colombia but when she arrived in Bath, England she realized she knew nothing.  Later when she visited London she found their English even different.  Now she lives in Envigado and has recently started working in the coffee distribution business.  She’s currently working nationally but eventually wants to develop business in Canada and the US.  She said she tries to come to the gym everyday.

A few minutes later a tall (6’3”?) guy named Sean stopped and said hello.  I remember talking to him before but didn’t recall any details about him.  (Later I checked and it’s been a month since I first met him.)  He did say he reads my blog and wanted to invite me to a party but didn’t have my contact information.  I told him I’d give him my email address and phone number next time I see him.

Back at the apt I showered, dressed and met Chuck outside at 12:30.  We walked down to Deli Hoy where we had a nice lunch.  The special today was churrasco (beef) but I ordered chicken and Chuck pork.  It started raining while we were there.  We finished eating and waited for Laura who finally showed up at 1:30.  While she was eating I had a café con leche and Chuck a tinto.

With her mother in the hospital and the finca getting a new roof Teresa burned through the 50mil I add to the cell phone at the beginning of the month.  I gave Laura 50mil to add to Teresa’s cell at Gana.  Chuck and I walked to Home Center where he bought a “blackout” curtain, light bulbs, ant killer, a hacksaw blade, and a sheet of transparent plastic for a suspended ceiling light.

As we left it started raining so we stopped at Bocados Bar where he had another tinto and I had a mango juice.

We walked up the hill and said goodbye.  His wife is in Cali and will fly back with her mother next Wednesday.

Teresa came back and reported that the roof work on the finca will take 2 more days.

After Teresa watched her usual Desafio TV program from 8 to 9pm, I watched an episode of Mayday: Airline Investigations that I hadn’t seen before.

I took 2 sleeping pills and went to bed at 10pm.


T-shirt of the day: People in sleeping bags…are the soft tacos of the bear world.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe Paula, with her English, can help you inquire at the gym if they are still taking money out for MT's membership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll probably ask Jose at least then i won't have to explain who Teresa, Laura and MT are.

    ReplyDelete