Friday, May 24, 2019

Thursday, May 23, 2019


Last night I took half of a Zopiclona sleeping pill before going to bed.  I woke up at 2:30 and took the other half.  I slept pretty well so it appears this change sort of worked, so far.  I’ll try again tonight.

Teresa told me that Alcala, our realtor, has changed their system and starting next month I need to deposit the rent into a different Bancolombia account.  It took 5 minutes of back and forth to get the information right.

I read that Microsoft will no longer be supporting Windows 7 as of next January so I think I’ll be purchasing a new computer.  I would want it to be able to run the latest chess software and normally that would probably be a desktop but I’m not going to burden my brother with lugging a large computer onto the plane so I’ll probably buy a fancy laptop.  (Sorry if I mentioned this already.)
I watched the first hour of the Today show.

After lunch we left the apt at 1:15 for Teresa’s 2:30 dentist appointment arriving at El Tesoro at 1:30.  Teresa went to the front desk of Cedi-Med and asked them something.  We then went to the O-Cake café where I had a café con leche.  At 2:15 we went up to the dentist’s office.  Teresa had her teeth cleaned and also learned she needs a “tooth guard” because she must be grinding her teeth at night.  He made a tooth impression, I paid 160mil and we went downstairs.  She checked in at Cedi-Med and informed me she is waiting to get a bone scan.  After 5 minutes at 3:45 they called her in while I sat in their waiting room.  She came out at 4:50 and informed me that she was still waiting so she begged them to let her go eat something.  We walked upstairs to J&C Delicias where I had their chicken lasagna and a coconut lemonade.  I couldn’t finish the lasagna so we got the rest to go.  She had her usual shrimp vegetable mix and a mango juice.  While we were there it started raining and my cellphone battery died.  (When we go to these doctor’s appointments I need to remember to bring a battery charger so I have a way to entertain myself.)

Teresa told me that while she was in the chair the dentist told her a story about a 70-something year old woman who could barely walk came in in 4” heels and otherwise dressed like a 20-something girl.

Teresa went back into Cedi-Med at 6pm and I told her I would wait for her at O-Cake.  I had another café con leche and she came out 20 minutes later and said she was done.

We went upstairs and waited in line for 10 minutes and we took a taxi back to the apt.

It was only raining lightly, traffic was heavy but we were back at the apt by 7:15.

One of my challenges: my Illinois Drivers license expires this October.  I would like to renew it so that in one of the coming years I could rent a car if and when I visit the US.  Option 1) would be if I could somehow renew it online; Option 2) Chuck said I might be able to get an International Drivers License here using my Illinois license; Option 3) fly back to the states for the main purpose of renewing my license; Option 4) take a driving class here (almost all of the Colombians have manual shift cars) and take the driving test to get a Colombian license and use that to get an International Drivers License.  To be continued!

3,737 steps today.

Joke of the day
Little Johnny was sitting on a park bench munching on one candy bar after another.  After the 6th one a man on the bench across from him said, 'Son, you know eating all that candy isn't good for you. It will give you acne, rot your teeth, and make you fat.'
Little Johnny replied, 'My grandfather lived to be 107 years old.'
The man asked, 'Did your grandfather eat 6 candy bars at a time?'
Little Johnny answered, 'No, he minded his own fucking business.’

2 comments:

  1. Terry, An International DL is not really a legal document. It is merely a translation into one or more languages other than (in your case) english. It really is not worth the money or effort to get one.
    I'm wondering whether Illinois allows an online renewal of a DL. (In Florida we get a one-time option to renew online.) You may may be able to to use your son's or another family member's domestic US address (IL) to renew with if a US address is required.
    One other thing I have heard is that gringos who have been naturalized in Costa Rica have gotten better rental rates on vehicles when visiting the US by using their Costa Rican Cedula to rent with rather than their US I.D. This latter might be somethng to look into to save some money.
    OK — Hope this helps . . .
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete