Thursday, March 18, 2021

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Last night I went to bed at 10:30, got up once at 6:30, finally getting up at 7am.

At 8am it’s only 64 degrees with overcast skies. I’m debating whether to leave for my walk now or wait until it warms up a little more.

It appears Santa Marta, Colombia is suffering so much from Covid-19 that they have instituted an 8pm nightly curfew.

I left at 8:30 and it was still 64 degrees. I completed my usual route and stopped at a small market for a head of lettuce. I didn’t see any in the cooler so I asked the cashier “no hay lechuga?”. She didn’t seem to understand so I repeated it. “lechuga?”. She looked at me blankly. I said “no intiende?” or “no tiene?” She said, “no intiendo”. I said, “lechuga” again and she repeated back to me what I thought was the same thing “lechuga”. She then showed me the 2 types of lettuce and I selected the “lechuga crespa” that Teresa prefers. She rang it up then held up 2 fingers. I gave her 5 mil and held up 5 fingers. She gave me my change and I held up 3 fingers. Lol. Yesterday, I had a similar encounter with the waitress in Todo Fresa over a napkin. She didn’t seem to understand my pronunciation for “servietta”.

At 12:30 it’s still only 76 degrees.

I was texted by Dr. Rendon that we can come early for our 1pm appointment that I forgot entirely about. Sigh!

Teresa returned just after 1pm and explained there is some type of water emergency at the finca. She made several calls and I understand she will go there next Tuesday to address the problem.

Dr. Rendon rescheduled our appointments to next Wednesday.

By 2:30 we finally broke 80 degrees.

Teresa told me about an overnighter next month in Santa Elena (near Parque Arvi) that we’ve been invited to. It’s only 300mil and includes room, meals, and transportation. Teresa’s getting antsy for a trip so maybe we should go.

My Patrick’s Irish Sports Pub t-shirt must be in the wash so I put on another with some green in it.

I left at 3pm and walked to Parva where I ordered a pan sano to go and a large café con leche to have there. The first hint of rain started about 4pm with thunder and a few raindrops. About 4:30 it started coming down heavily. It slacked off about 4:45 and I was packing to leave when Teresa called. She wanted me to bring her a slice of cake. I saw whole cakes in their display case but I wasn’t aware they sold slices so I gave my phone to a salesgirl to talk to Teresa. The muchacha took a whole apple cake, cut off a slice and I brought the cake and bread back to the apt.

I beat Teresa in parcheesi today 5 games to 1 but she still claims she’s the champion.

 

The US has 29,516,589 ð 29,570,954 ð 29,601,700 coronavirus cases with 535,200+ ð 536,400+ ð 537,000+ deaths.

Per Medellin Guru, as of this afternoon Colombia has a total of 2,305,884 ð 2,309,600 ð 2,314,154 cases with 61,243 ð 61,368 ð 61,498 deaths. Medellin has 198,328 ð 198,792 ð 199,257 cases, an increase of 465 from March to 16th to 17th. Envigado has a total of 17,890 cases, an increase of 36 from March to 16th to 17th.

Joke of the day

We recently had dinner at my son and daughter-in-law’s home. She had prepared a beautiful pecan pie for dessert, but I do not eat refined sugar in an attempt to lessen inflammation from my rheumatoid arthritis. My young grandson generously set two pecans on my empty plate. “These are for you, Grandma,” he said. “Thank you, sweetheart, but these pecans are coated with sugar,” I replied.

“No, Grandma, there is no sugar on these. I licked it all off!”

No comments:

Post a Comment