Saturday, October 10, 2015

Friday, October 9th, 2015



I got up once at 3:15, again at 6am, finally getting up at 8am.

Giraldo arrived at 9:15.  Today he came alone, perhaps because the heavy lifting of bricks and cement is over.

Well, I went to imdb.com as I always do on Friday morning and instead of seeing a list of new releases under “Movies released this week”, I saw a list of “Now playing” and “Coming soon”.  So, is there nothing new this week?
Locally, I would like to see The Martian playing at El Tesoro.

Giraldo installed the tubing and then ran the new electric wires.

Elda left at 11:40 and Giraldo and Teresa went with her to help carry some of her stuff.

Teresa came back at noon and Giraldo 5 minutes later.

I googled new US movie releases and I would like to see The Walk (8.0) and Steve Jobs (6.6).

In CMS I was promoted to Duke.

Giraldo plastered over the tubing containing the new electric wiring.  Then he started building channels to insert plastic tubing to carry water to and from the new sink location.

About 5pm, the terriers went flying towards the back of the finca making a lot of noise.  Teresa went out to investigate and then she called out “Giraldo, come here quick.”  The only other word I understood was “bird”.  In the back of the finca about 30 feet up the hill was a pretty bird, about the size of a pheasant, sitting in a tree just out of the reach of the terriers.  I was able to coax some of the dogs down but Peter continued to jump up just short of reaching it.  I was just in my moccasins so Giraldo climbed up the hill and tried to grab it.  It flew out of his hands, and glided more than flew, down the hill with the terriers in pursuit.  It appeared to go all the way to the bottom of the ravine and Giraldo shortly reported that the terriers had killed it.  I asked Teresa what the name of the bird is and she said “pava” which I translated to “turkey hen”.  I googled it and found that is what they are called here.  It was a female turkey.  Turkey here is called “pavo” so I guess this is the feminine version of the same thing.  A few minutes later Teresa brought it in and I took these pictures of it – a little worse for wear:



Geraldo left at 6:15 and Teresa told me we’re going to meet him in Caldas tomorrow.  Here’s what the kitchen looks like thus far:



I watched the beginning of the National League Divisional Series game between the Chicago Cubs and the St. Louis Cardinals.  No, I’m not rooting for the Cubs, I’m a White Sox fan.

I gave Teresa some cash and she’s going to go alone early to Caldas to meet with Giraldo – I understand they are going to buy backsplash for the kitchen counter.  I also understand Giraldo is scheduled to finish the kitchen tomorrow but it looks like there’s still a lot of work remaining.

I finished season 5 of The Living Dead.

The St. Louis Cardinals beat the Chicago Cubs 4-0.

Apparently Teresa changed her mind again and she wants me to go with her early tomorrow. 

I wanted to watch Alfred Hitchcock’s 1959 film North by Northwest (8.4) but there wasn’t any sound.  I skipped 1960’s Psycho (8.6) because I’ve seen it very recently so I started watching 1963’s The Birds (7.8).

Some observations after watching Alfred Hitchcock movies from the 1940s and 1950s: almost everybody smoked; spouses always slept in separate beds, sometimes separate bedrooms; kisses never lasted longer than 3 seconds and of course they were close mouthed.

The Colombian Peso closed for the week at 2,860.17 to the US dollar.

I took my sleeping pills at 11:30 and went to bed.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that was a Turkey Hen, looks more like a peacock hen to me.

    ReplyDelete